heavy pruning for a rhodo?

Victoria BC, Canada

I thought I'd already posted this. Hmmm. I still don't get this posting business. So... I'll ask again: I have a large rhodo that is in a bad spot (hides a window). I think it's too large to transplant, so I'm thinking of a heavy pruning. The plant has just finished blooming, and I hear this is the best time to prune, but I'd really like feedback from people who have done this, or know more about it. I'm a complete novice to any gardening at all. Could someone help me with this? I'd really appreciate the help.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi Maggie,

I found your other post toward the bottom of this thread, and a few people had responded to you so maybe your question is already answered http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/849236/

Victoria BC, Canada

Thank you ecrane3. I'm a bit challenged technologically, but I'm also run off my feet right now (it's end of school stuff here) so I can use all the help I can get. I followed your link (?) and found my answers.

Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6a)

You were given good advice. This is the time to trim back the rhododendron so that it will have enough time to produce new growth which can harden off before the Winter cold sets in.
You can make it look less drastic by cutting back the plant 1/3 each year for 3 years. I have cut large rhododendons back to a 1' plant and it has regenerated in a few years starting with new growth at the base, but it is heart wrenching to see it before it starts to regrow

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.