Potting Shed/ Area Advice? (I'm having one built)

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I live on a hill and my neighbors above have a "wonderful" view of the only side of my house that is not landscaped. It's a gathering place for pots not in use, a holding area for plants, and--the most unattractive!-- all the pool mechanicals AND an A/C unit. So...I've decided to have a potting area built to hide all this. It will not be an actual room but instead an area behind the fence and along the house's wall. (This will not create another eye-sore as the neighbors to the side have NO windows there and the area is all rocks--no one ever walks there.)

I just had a 24 inch stone column built about 10 feet from the side of the house. There will be a fence built from the column to the house and I'll plant bushes to soften the fence. I'll paint the fence to match the house. I know I want a very wide working surface built behind the fence, and some shelves, an area for tubs of mulch, potting soil, etc. under the potting surface, but after that I'm really trying to think of what I'll need. (I have a hose just around the corner, so a sink is out of the question, says DH.)

Any suggestions as to what I need....things to avoid, etc.?

This thread has 18 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!