This was my good buy!

Sunset Beach, NC(Zone 8a)

Our local hardware store was selling all their plants for 40% and I picked up this Mandevilla for $16. I think it was a great buy as big as it is. I decided to just plant the pot and leave as is then try to overwinter it inside. I really like her!

Thumbnail by BDunn
Pretoria, South Africa

Oh, what a beauty! Good luck with the overwintering.

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

She's a beaut!

Middle River, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh My Gosh...... You certainly were in the right place at the right time......

I have one but it's no where near as large as yours...... and right now, it only has about 3 blossoms....

Enjoy your beautiful plant !!!

Nassau County, NY(Zone 7a)

Bdunn, nice buy, over here that size would be at least $40. I bring mines indoors in the winter, cut them down to about 6 inches and let nature take care of them. The ones that overwintered are just about to bloom now. They are one of my favorite tropical vines, enjoy her, she blooms all summer long! Clemen

Clemen,
I was reading threads about what to do to overwinter so I think I'm going to give it a try when the time comes. You cut it down to about 6"? Most things I read said about 12". Probably doesn't make much difference, do you think?

What size pot is yours in?

Thanks,
Barbara

Barbara, I actually don't cut much, but it is better if you do, because when they do go outside, you need to do it gradually or else the new growth dies, I never do though, I just throw them out of the house, poor things, and they survive and give me blooms. I do though, when they are brought in, put some powdery mildew stuff on them, because they can get sick inside, I have them in this empty apartment for the winter, little water, 50 degrees temps and they grow.
I'll post some pic, before and after ok, and please do not let her die outside, bring her in, she will appreaciate in the future! Clemen

Before

Thumbnail by Clemen

Inside, early Spring ready to go outdoors! And I'll post pics of now after this week end, when I go see her, she is actually in my second home, and ready to bloom, I have several! Clemen

Thumbnail by Clemen

Beautiful, Clemen, and thanks for the encouragement. Do post pictures when you go visit. I love it ..... you go to visit your plants! Hope it's not a "plant custody" situation! LOL!

You are too funny, those vines of mine are in my second home, it is very sunny there and I can grow all sorts of beautiful flowers. Where I live, it is very shady and I mostly have a shade garden, pretty, but different! Clemen

Ok, sorry about not answering before, but this is that mandeville after winter , this summer, see you should protect her in the winter and bring her outdoors next Spring! Clemen

Thumbnail by Clemen
Murphy, TX(Zone 8a)

My mandevilla is still blooming, but is less than a foot tall. It shows no signs of sending up shoots, vining, or even reaching. It's very much like a small bush. A few leaves have died and been replaced, and I get a new flush of flowers every couple of weeks.

It seems quite happy, but nothing like the big beautiful plants I see in everyone's photos.

Any ideas?

Dallasdad, do you have a picture of her??? I feed mine weekly with bloom plus and have also thrown some vitam b1 and fish emulsion, that stuff stinks though, but it is working! Clemen

Murphy, TX(Zone 8a)

Sure, here you go:

Thumbnail by DallasDad
Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

i over winter my mandys on my porch. the temp is 40-50 degrees all winter. i water them every 2 weeks, and they do fine

Dallas Dad, she looks pretty good to me, that is the red kind, I bought one this year and It looks more like a bush to me than a vine, the pink and whites ones seem to go wild for me. Here is a pic of mine, it is the last pot to the left. Clemen

Thumbnail by Clemen
Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

DEAR GOD! $14?! I paid over $40 for mine and it was that size!!!

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

lowes tried to charge me 38 dollars last year for one. i told them to keep it. i never paid over 20 and wasn't about to start!

They are usually a lot of money at the beginning of the season until the June sales start! Clemen

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

clem, i wait for our big monthly fleamarket. they sell them for 15.00
the last day the reduce them to 10.00

Thats much better jordan! Clemen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.