brooder possibility what ya think

londonderry, Australia

wow thats all i can say well done

(Tia) Norman, OK(Zone 7a)

here we go, told ya get ready for pics!!!!! This is the egg eating race.

Thumbnail by luvs2garden2000

another

OMG its a worm

Did you say worm where?

londonderry, Australia

lol i love when they think they see somthing and they get in a big fluff pile tying to get the imaginery food

Here is the "tractor" Where the vinyl siding is we added that on as the housed area. Where you see the wire on the outside laying down we covered with about 6 in of dirt. The wood top on the very end where the wire is, will maybe be open with wire ontop have not decided yet.

The guard dog Gus.

So you are my babies, hmmmmmmm you must look like your mother.

This is Meshia, Gus mom. She was the watch dog when they were in the house.

londonderry, Australia

wow well done on training them not to eat the chicks i had a number of close shaves when my cat got into the hatchery .....BAD CAT...

Thanks Lucky, It was really fun and hot yesterday making this. My DH was so happy with it. I think we will start on the main coop today, after we weed and water the garden today. Hubby said yesterday that our small coop is just not big enough he will HAVE to build it much bigger. Sits here with an EVIL gin on my face.

This is the pic I took of it before we got all the wire taken off.

They are in training, I wouldnt dare leave him in there while I wasnt there at least not yet. He is a very well behaved puppy unlike his mother. He is so eager to please. And my working dogs gets special treatment. Like what we eat they get to eat also. They love a good steak. and homemade bread.

londonderry, Australia

well do you feel the happy feeling inside of building it yourself or are u tired from a days hard work

Moxee, WA(Zone 4a)

With hardware cloth around the sides and a partial roof for shade and rain protection ... it looks like it would be perfect as a brooder. You might not even need to put a wire bottom on the brooder. The chicks would love to have a portable brooder that could be shifted 10 ft or so daily to give them a new spot to peck the grass.

Oh gosh no I have that well done good job feeling and ready to get back to it today. Out there studying on it this morning, I think I have figured out how to get the chicks once they are big enough to the coop. I will move the coop to the end where the vinyl siding is and make a door there so they can go to the coop and chicken yard. They will have western protection from the house and shade during the hottest part of the day. May get that started today. Its closer to the well and electric outlet there. im so EGGcited. Thanks to everyone here with all their help and guidance.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

soadorable, and with feathers already! can't wait to get mine...

you have done REAL GOOD! yep,, coop too small LOL...

I really doubt we will move this around. Wasnt going to put a wire bottom on it. Once I get the chicks to the coop say in about 4 or 5 weeks, they are almost a week old now. I will reseed that area for other brooding we might do, if we do. Time will tell. I have a start now, not sure if I want to hassle with a bator, I will try and get a few to go broody for me. I may just buy chicks again maybe next spring. TF the enabler has me thinking I want them big extra large brown eggs. If all goes well I will have about 140 chicks. Of course there will be alot of culling in about what 8-10 weeks old. Gotta thin down them roo's. I gotta do more research on the breeds I have and which I want to keep to reproduce, eat and egg wise. 1st gotta get them up in age to find out what they are. I have looked at pics and think yea they look like that but.............Again time will tell.

Thanks TF, yea coop to small. I guess when they got all wet the other day they were forced to make new feathers. Who knows. Glad I got them. We only have 5 more days and we will have the new ones. I will do the same thing I did with this batch, keep them in the spare bedroom with the space heater on them for the 1st few days and then hope to add them to the brooder. Will just have to see how they are when they get here. Some are already starting to get wing colors, does that make sense.
Little white tips. I will try and get a pic today, DH will have to lift the lids for me today so I can get in there. He will put the hinges on today so I can lift it myself.

londonderry, Australia

just think soon u get make it even bigger yay. lol

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

white tips are very normal for blacks... i am taking 25 of mine to a new owner today, and i am CLUELESS... so i will just grab, half the blacks, ahlf the whites, half the reds, half the yellows LOL...

DH has started another building!!! but we will be working on a friends place today, major cleanup stuff... boy i need soem coffee, we were up REALLY LATE...

LoL, I went to bed with the chickens last night, I was tired. I was the go getter, I tried screwing a little bit and DH said give me that, I will do it. EVIL grin again.

londonderry, Australia

u like your evil grins lol

Most times my EVIL grins gets a job done I want done. I cant wait to get started on the coop but DH is watching a movie, one of course he has already seen before. I let him have his morning time, and work him in the hot afternoon and in the evenings. He seems to be moving around now.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

gee, we know how to get htose guys motivated. ever since i got my dariy goat, DH keeps asking where i want the milking shed. he asked again after he started on this new building and i said, we will know when we see it... now he sees that his DW doesn't get 1/3 or 1/2 of this new building, she gets 2/3!!! east end for chickens middle for milking, and DH gets 8x12 to park his lawn tractor etc in... i even get that green stuff on the roof so i have natural light, and also he will run electric out there.... can you say CHICK BROODER?

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

mine is watching cartoons, not reruns though. generally wehn he takes a Sat afternoon break, it is movie time... but today we will be gone... gotta get my DG fix in now, havne't even had coffee yet!

londonderry, Australia

i am so tired but u guys are never on during my day so i am gonna stay on lol any way you will feel like u just finished before u need to start repairing the coup u r gonna have so much fun i dont envey u lol

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

hey, lucky there is a guy from Kentucky over in the farm life forum who has questions aboout Balck Australorps, can you give your opinion?

he he he there u go. We have a 12 x 42 barn I WANT but its for tools and garden stuff. I do get part of it but cant use it for the chickens. OMG what a hen heaven that would make. Maybe next year I will get another one. Gotta get this one paid off 1st. How many nesting boxes could I get.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

we were talking last night out under the clear starry sky, nad the best part of this new building [besides the fact that he is using old materials and will try to make it look as old as possible], is that is will block the view of the neighbors ugly house and the old trasehd boats he has right beside our barbed wire fence...

londonderry, Australia

sure i will head over there now

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/527317/

here is a direct link. i can only offer what i know from reading and experience...

Oh yea repair as we go. I am pretty handy at repairing things. You know duct tape and bailing wire.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

i thought it was duct tape and WD-40 LOL.... and baling twine makes nice temporary latches...

Oh I just hate trashy neighbors, glad I dont have any real close. We were to tired last night to really clean up will have to do that today, Oh about a case of cans on the ground. UGHHHHHH DH hates that. Hey building something is thirsty work.

sure does and bungy cords make great gate latches. Have one on the front gate to the yard.

londonderry, Australia

well i hope i helped them so when will every one move in to the coup luvs2garden

Oh not sure of that just yet. Probably when they dont need the heat lamp. What do ya'll think. or maybe make it where they can get back and forth. The coop is about 150 ft from the brooder right now. I had nightmares last night of having to move 100+ birds to the coop when its time. HMMM just got another idea, on top of the brooder where it has the vinyl sidding, I could make it 2 stories that opens into the coop. And that could be where some nesting boxes would go. Hmmm will have to work with that, and make an entrance into the brooder from the side instead of the top.

londonderry, Australia

2 stories u could call it the hilton than

yeppers. Will run it by the DH this afternoon. he usually balks at me when I try to make something out of something laying around, at first yesterday he was like no that wont work on building the brooder, then once we got the chicks in there and they were having such a fun time running around. He gave me an atta boy. Was gonna make the end that has the siding on it our of plywood, but then we seen the siding and it has air vents in it so thought why not. Another good idea of mine.

Update went out to check on chicks and one found a small screw that I guess we lost in there, Oh the chase was on. Drop it another chick picks it up and takes off running then another grabs it............Too funny

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.