Please help I.D.this Heron look-a-like.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Please help I.D.this Heron look-a-like.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

It dived for fish than swam around looking....fishing.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

One more...

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Then it decided to perch up on a pier post to continue its hunt.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Sorry the quality of the pics. aren't very clear. But hopefully you could help I.D. the 'short neck' heron? Thanks in advance.
Kim

Thumbnail by Lily_love
North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Maybe? Black-Crowned Night-Heron?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi Kim, you maybe right. Interesting, I'll look up more info. on this interesting bird. The images I googled look very similiar. Thank you.
Kim2

p.s. the 'lil fella is very patience, it's still out there fishing. ^_^

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Still out there....

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

These peking duck pair passing by, they each to its own. They didn't seem to mind the other's presence. How is Eliza?

Thumbnail by Lily_love
North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

She is fantastic! Did you read on her thread that she has taken over our hot tub? Oh well, she only has a few more days with us...might as well spoil her...more. lol

Enjoy your bird...

Kim

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Yep, Black-Crowned Night Heron. Really weird behaviour! Herons don't normally ever dive for food.

Resin

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thank you, both for the confirmation of its identity. It dropped into the water, but didn't really submerge its entire body into the water. Are these nocturnal birds? why is it out in the daylight? lol.
Kim

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Primarily nocturnal, but not 100% so, they will readily come out in daylight if they want to.

Resin

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks Resin, it's been awhile since I 1st discovered the nocturnal bird. Pleasure meeting you at Davesgarden. Kim-2, are you still active here?
Kim from Al.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.