How to care for baby clematis plants?

Pretoria, South Africa

I was able to get some Clematis "Bill McKenzie" and "Golden Clematis" to germinate using the coffee filter method. Now what? Our temperatures are between 37 and 70F. Do I put them in my unheated greenhouse, or keep them indoors on a sunny windowsill? (it will get about four hours of morning sun) I can also take them out daily should they need more sun. Just don't want to fry them...

Thanks,
Elsa

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Elsa..You could easily keep them in your greenhouse..the main point to remember is to keep pinching the vine..not allowing it to grow more than 2 sets of leaves..this will force your clematis to focus on growing roots, which are essential instead of growing it's vines..
Brian Collingwood is a well known Hybridizer in England and had a wonderful site about growing clematis from seed...hope you enjoy and find a wealth of info...Jeanne
http://www.richardsdad.btinternet.co.uk/

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

What a great site...THANK YOU JEANNE!!
I loved every little detail.
Julie

Pretoria, South Africa

Jeanne,
Thank you so much for the tip and the link.

Elsa

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Both of you are so welcome..make sure and save in your favs..I just love Brians site and enjoy seeing his new hybrids each season..he truly is gifted in the hybridizing world..He has one called Clematis "SuzyMac"..that is just fabulous...and I can't wait till the day she is offered here in the USA..named after this very sweet person on the GB forums....Jeanne

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.