Dwarf Weeping Cherry Tree

Willis, MI

My husband planted this tree for me today, but bucket of the tractor scraped the bark off the tree. Will it be ok? or should I do something to help keep it healthy?

Thumbnail by sixx788
Willis, MI

Here is a close up picture of the damage.

Thumbnail by sixx788
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Should be OK, it doesn't look like it has gone right through the bark to the wood below.

Resin

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

sixx- Have you taken into consideration the mature size of this beautiful tree? From your picture, it looks (imho) quite close to the house. I'd hate for you to have a major problem in a few years! I have inherited just such spatial problems in the past, & know the agony of having to sacrifice a wonderful specimen tree. Samantha

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Ouch.

Carefully prune away the damaged loose bark, so that the wound stays open to light and air movement. The drier the site, the less likely to have invasion or hiding places for pests.

If you keep the tree healthy and vigorous, it can recover from this damage. This is a prime spot for insects (like borers) to lay eggs, and larva to tunnel into and under the bark.

Always put protective materials around tree trunks and edges of power equipment, even tractor buckets. Something as simple as a rolled up towel or blanket will prevent the kind of damage you've shown.

Willis, MI

I was worried that this tree may be too close to the house. But SUPPOSEDLY it's a dwarf and not supposed to get much bigger than this......according to the nursery. Just fuller. Who knows. I guess time will tell. I will take it out if it gets too big.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.