Parents of kids who ride- need some guidance*long*

Medford, NJ(Zone 6b)

That 13hh pony is looking pretty good right now! *sigh* Today at horse camp my daughter took a bad spill from the horse that she rides and now I'm ready to call it quits on her riding. Although she is not hurt she could have been and that is what is freaking me out! I wasn't there but the instructor told me that as my daughter was mounting, the horse started to act up, the instructor went to the mounting block to help my daughter and that is when the horse exploded. I guess 'something' rocked his world and he wanted NO part of a rider or being in the arena so he tried very hard to toss the rider and in the process ran into the instructor. My daughter got thrown and was clipped in the head (helmet on of course, helmet cracked) by a kick. Both she and the instructor were lying on the ground dazed. At this point in the story my head is now spinning and I’m in a bit of a daze myself! I’ll be calling the instructor latter to go over the details again just to put my mind at ease.

Again, my daughter wasn't hurt but this is the second spill she's had and I'm getting, well, freaked OUT! I think that maybe next time we won't be so lucky and she could really get hurt. I love the instructor, she's fantastic but her school horses are not beginner horses. The horse person tells me that this could happen with *any* horse but common sense would tell me there is less of a chance with a calm dead broke one. Maybe it's time to look for another barn?

It's so hard to get across to kids that they can get hurt! I know as a child/teen I had my fair amount of accidents but it never occured to me that anything really bad could happen to me. Just like my daughter thinks nothing bad will happen to her! After she recovered from her fall she was back up riding another horse about an hour later. For the love of doG take a rest, stop riding! She was adamant about wanting to just go on with the day, she’d be fine. GRRRRRRRR**bangs head against wall***

I know riding a horse is dangerous and this is why I NEVER wanted her to get into horses. She finally wore me down and I said yes to lessons about a year ago. Since lessons the horse obsession has only multiplied 10 fold. To make matters worse, I have my other daughter riding now as well.

So I guess what I’m asking is how do I continue to support her in what she loves to do when my brain is SCREAMING ****ENOUGH****? Seriously, I would be happy if she never rode again. Anyone have any words of wisdom for me?
Now I know without a doubt why my mom wouldn’t watch me ride LOL……
Thanks for listening!
Kristi

This thread has 39 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!