Sundown?

Timnath, CO(Zone 5b)

I just picked up a gallon sized 'Sundown' from the 'Big Sky' series. Does anyone have this one? Does it perform well in zone 4/5? Post pics! :)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Does really well for me although not as tall as the purpea or alba and the flowers aren't quite as big. Who cares though? Its such a gorgeous colour. Sorry no pics.

Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

This is 'Sundown' in 7b.....but its about how it grows for me......I got maybe a dozen of them.....One of my favorites

Paul from Alabama

Thumbnail by PaulFromAL
Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

I don't have Sundown but I have Sunset. They've been doing better and better. They were planted late 2005. They aren't too tall, just a nice size. Mine are just beginning to bloom - which by the way are are 2 weeks early this year.

Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

Here's another drift....they're taller in this bunch......

Thumbnail by PaulFromAL
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I gonged it and got rid of mine, but I'm only here for balance.

Timnath, CO(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the replies. I wonder if the later versions are holding up better than the newer (2005) versions. The color on the opening bloom on the one I picked up is fantastic. I hope it stays that way.

Al, what made you get rid of it? Color not right or just poor performance in general?

Thumbnail by Meig
Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

You just never know, I had a bad experience, performance wise and color wise with Sunset, I bought it when it first came out, the year before it was released nationally.....raised it for 3 years and was never happy with it......And Meig just loves hers, and BigcityAl gongs my favorite one.......:)

And Al, the Gong Show is a good analogy for what folks do with their let us say, less than wonderful plants......:)

Paul from Alabama

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Sunrise is the only Big Sky one I can give a thumbs up to. The color on Sundown faded to a purple less than Magnus very quickly, the flowers were deformed/less than full on most of the flowers and the foliage was pretty bad.

If I would have got Gene Gene the flowering machine - then maybe I'd still have it.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

My Sundown didn't survive the winter. But Sunset is doing great!

Upstate, NY(Zone 5a)

I have summer sky and it is doing great. Color is not fading this year like it did last year but then we have had a lot of rain and cloud cover this year....

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

big city Al, I started a thead asking about Sundown foliage problems. Mine has turned silvery-white. I cut it back and the new growth is doing the same thing. What foliage problems did you have? This is only happening on Sundown. Thanks

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.