Pollinators for beans?

NE Medina Co., TX(Zone 8a)

My bean plants aren't making beans anymore. It's been hot, but I wouldn't think it's THAT hot. Not much flowers either, but what flowers do come along don't result in beans. I'm wondering about the bees, which hardly show up at all these days. When they do, they seem to like the passifloras flowers. Do beans need pollination?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

All common beans are self pollinating. Bush beans tend to quit after the main crop and all the P. vulgaris struggle with heat. Some cultivars handle it better than others.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

If you want continuous beans, especially bush beans, you'll want to do succession planting. Plant 1/3 of your beans one week, wait a week or two, plant another 1/3, then wait a week or two, and plant the last of them. They will still come to a halt during summer. Few vegetables grow in July or August in S.E. Texas.

NE Medina Co., TX(Zone 8a)

Well, I guess it's the heat then. A friend of mine also noticed hers were shutting down. I expected it from the tomatos, but for some reason I thought I remembered getting green beans (less, but some) even when it's real hot. What a shame! This summer started extremely early here and looks like it's a bad one.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.