What's my name

Wayne, NE

I can not find my tag anywhere for this clematis. Does anyone off hand know the name?

Thumbnail by Little_Squirt
Richmond Hill, GA

Looks like Venosa Violacea.
Arlene

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh yeah! I love "Venosa Violacea".

Delaware, OH

doesn't look anything like my venosa..why not go to clematis on the web and search for a white clematis with a wide pink margin and see what else it could be?

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

It's definitely Venosa Violacea...Jeanne

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Delaware, OH

i better get one right away! mine must be weird one, as it does not look like this. i like this one better and will put it on my list.

jeanne, just woondering if your advice on one of the topics to cut a clematis back to the ground level is something that you specify in certain situations or frequently. when i have die back or wilt or a plant does not thrive, i usually do not cut back this low..usually i try and leave one node. is this something in my zone i should do that would be a better practice?
thanks in advance for any tips you have regarding this.

Delaware, OH

here is my venosa violacea
you can see there is much less white in the center than the ones you guys have. i know there are different clones and variation in the types. this really shows it. i will get another from a different source, have had mine years..can't remember where i got it.
anyway i'll get another and ut it on the same trellis and see how different it looks. maybe it is the light or other variable wher ei have it planted. it is in partial shade.

Thumbnail by ClematisGuru
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Niobe...I serious don't think that is Clematis "Venosa Violacea"..wished I had a closeup pic to view but from what I can see it looks like clematis "Jackmanii" to me...You are right in that the clematis will vary only in the width of the white showing on the bars...otherwise their white is definitely distinct. I have two and one had wider white than the other one..
I ONLY prune those vines that have wilt to the soil line..that vine is no longer viable and not worth trying to get it to create new vines from any left over leaf axils ( I am assuming you meant leaf axil referring to it as node?) ..once wilted they are goners...Jeanne

Delaware, OH

yes..i use node and leaf axil interchangably as a term. i will try the complete cut back a few times.
i am pretty sure it is venosa as the white is distinct and i have several jackmanii and it is def not that. i think it is a clone with not much white and also the shade position may keep it less white?
i want one of the ones with a lot of white and if i get another one will plant it in full sun.
i could go over to my neighbors and cut down the cherry tree behind the fence that is creating the dappled shade!!!
not a good idea. it hink i bought it from chalk hill years ago.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

You are allowed to prune any of the Cherry Tree Branches that over the fence and into your garden ..aren't you?...Jeanne

Delaware, OH

yes, i can prune the cherry tree, even on their side. they are friendly neighbors and they enjoy the blooms they get. it is the only side of our place that has neighbors.
i have two arches there with guernsey cream, bees jubilee, belle of woking and integrefolia rosie at the bottom of it all(along with the violet stargazer/ venosa)

will have to look into that. but i really think it is my clone and i need another plant. i like the photos on=f the ones you guys have, it looks like omoshiro with a wider outer margin!

the early spring sun is good, but as the trees leaf in in the whole area is is def a "partial sun " byt he time venosa blooms.

Delaware, OH

i was looking over some of my photos from this year and realized i had a clematis you might want to see. it is called festoon bonanza. a raymond evison introduction from a few years ago. it looks like a venosa. it is planted in an area where i must say i neglect it a little and do not stop and admire it as often as i should. it must be related to the venosa, what do you think?

Delaware, OH

just realized i should explain the stairs you see in the festoon bonanza pic..i call them the botanical stairs. my husband designed the retaining wall and stairs to have an area at the back of the stairs where i have little ground cover plants and so forth...above the festoon as you come down the stairs are some early blooming clematis like guernsey cream, alabast and some nelly m which have finished blooming and been deadheaded, cut back or left as is for the season. festoon is the latest bloomer along that retaining wall. the top one is the earliest bloomer, the second is the next bloomer, alabast, etc down to the festoon.
next year i will take a better photo of the sequence. here is the top of the stairs and the early bloomers......

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Niobe...I just love your gardens..they are well thought out and designed..you can tell much love and allotta work was put into it..thanks for sharing..your clematis are fabulous!!...Jeanne

Delaware, OH

thanks. jeanne. next year will be better, but don't we all say that every year? everything i do is for next year! got to stop and smell the roses and admire the clematis!!! the photos help me do that..along with walking the property every morning with coffee and camera in hand.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

WOW..we definitely are kindred spirits as I also walk my gardens each morning with coffee and camera in hand..it's the coolest and most enjoyable time for me...Clematis only get better with each year...Mine are only about 4 years old as we moved out on the lake to our new home..I left a home that I lovingly gardened for 10 years to retire out here...so, while it is fun creating my new gardens I do miss the maturity of my old one but this one is getting there!!....Jeanne

Delaware, OH

i often think i would like to start over and design from scratch. i had never gardened until we bought this place 18 yrs ago. only 8 yrs in clematis....first 10 years with shrubs and aimless swaths of random perennials and hundreds of daylillies.
most of which of which have been given away or condensed to the country garden area. clemais really gave me focus to my garden journey.ing.
the shrubs have a big pay off and so do the clems..in terms of joy and learning.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I guess secondly would be my climbing roses..they are such a treat to combine with Clematis..I have about 25 climbing roses and much many more bushes...thirdly are my Crinums..adore those..and started collecting 3 years ago...Jeanne

Delaware, OH

i am adding more roses as we speak. if they make it thru to 09 will add even more. just have wanted to avoid a new obsession. and have had many die here over the winter in the past . i refuse to do winter protection except leaves and mulch.
i have had good luck with a few from last year and am really enjoying the beauty of those and the ones i added...so we'll see...
sedum is my other obsession. so easy! i have about 60 types, but rarely remember the names, unlike clematis who are so easy to remember!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I can't afford a new obsession as I am running out of places to plant..unless I remove more sod..LOL..and I think I have enough to keep me busy..God help me if I can't get out and take care of this stuff...Jeanne

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.