Source of Compost Worms (Eisenia fetida) Near Houston, TX

Webster, TX(Zone 9a)

After a few months of research I have finally decided to go ahead and start composting with worms. As if the actual decision to start this was bad enough (I tend to over think everything at every opportunity), I cannot for the life of me find the worms I need. The few places I have found that have them in stock either won't ship them to Texas, won't sell me under 5 lbs! (I only need 1 lb.), or want to charge me close to 50.00 for under 500 worms!

SO, is there anyone in the Houston vicinity that I could buy 1,000 worms from? I live in League City, but would be happy to pay for any shipping charges that are involved if the distance is too far for a meet up.

Thank you!

Paris, TN

I sell worms d-mail with me and I can work something out with you

Lecanto, FL(Zone 9a)

I get them at the local bait shop. Sometimes the pet shops.

Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

every hen house has an ample supply- wear rubber gloves while digging :-)

Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

Yesterday, we stopped at a "country" gas station/general store and I found little Styrofoam cups with "3 doz" red wigglers for $2.75. I bought only one cup; 3 doz will turn into many if they like my compost. I tore up a few newspapers and wet the strips then squeezed them and added to my compost and put the worms in two places under the newsprint. I am pretty sure they will thrive but at least it will be a cheap lesson if not! I don't know if I need to add any more newspaper strips as the composted kitchen scraps have pretty much turned black. Any ideas on that, anyone?

Paul

Paris, TN

I would add more newspaper strips to cover your produce so that you dont draw flies to your bins

Lecanto, FL(Zone 9a)

If I have extra worms I just throw a couple in my big potted plants. They aeriate the soil and feed the plant and when they're done they escape out the bottom and go elsewhere. I love worms.

Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

Wormfood, I can really tell you love worms! I really enjoy this forum. BTW, I am going to stop at BestBuy Worms on my way back from fishing in Ft Myers. They sounded really nice in their email reply and glad to have people come to their farm. If they don't have to mail them, they will sell a smaller batch of worms so I will get some European wigglers and put them in a styrofoam cooler for the trip back home to NC.
Paul

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.