Daylily question: Mow over them?

Mableton, GA(Zone 7a)

Hey. I have a daylily question over on the daylily forum, but thought some folks that live in my area might also have some valuable insight.

Here's my question:
For the last 2 years, my daylilies have come up, bloomed, and then slowly died back by early July. Then foliage would then start to come back a second time and be about half as tall before dying back in the fall.

The foliage use to stay green until the end of summer.

I just assumed that the GA 100-year drought was causing this.

Now I've just read an article where a lady said that she would mow over her browning daylily foliage after they bloomed and would get fresh foliage and occasionally a few more flowers before they completely died back in the fall.

Has anyone heard of doing this; or done it themselves? It would be great if this was a viable plan. Mine always look pathetic, practically dead, during July.

Thanks, I appreciate any help anyone has. ^_^

Mableton, GA(Zone 7a)

Well, I got my perfect answer in the daylily thread just moments ago. It's from a daylily nursery called Oakes. Thought I'd pass it along.

Here it is from their page:

"Because of the intense summer heat in our area, the foliage on our daylilies often appears somewhat ragged towards the middle to end of the summer, some varieties moreso than others. One practice we have found to be very useful to remedy this is that of trimming the foliage, with a weedeater, high-set lawn mower or clippers, to about 6"-10". This promotes the growth of fresh new foliage which keeps the plant looking nice until frost."

I don't know why this info. just came to my attention this year. I only came across it in reading some obscure article. I wonder why it isn't more widely known. Seems to me it is an important bit of info. that many daylily growers would like to know.

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Thanks for posting. Good info to have.

Mableton, GA(Zone 7a)

My pleasure. Now I have finally passed along some useful info. (That's a first.)

Albany, GA(Zone 8a)

That's funny, I just bookmarked Oakes nursery the other day. They have a good format to find the daylily you are looking to buy, or just to ID your NOIDs.

http://www.oakesdaylilies.com

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Some of mine that have finished look ragged and they are under irrigation.. But still look like they need a trim.

I have some common ditch daylillies by my mailbox that i planted there yearss ago. I just keeping mowing over them constandly when I mow my grass at the same time. But I do notice the leaves are always green every 2 weeks. Mow'em down and tries to grow right back green.

-rp-

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.