What don't goundhog eat?

South Coast, RI(Zone 6b)

Does anyone know of where to find a list of annuals that groundhog won't eat? The buggers are doing a number in my gardens and I have no idea what they dislike. They seem to bypass the impatience but have eaten off all the flowers on the wave petunias and pansies.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I have a feeling they're not very picky--in general things with fuzzy leaves, thorns, strong leaf aroma (like Salvia), or icky sap (Euphorbia) are probably less likely to be eaten by animals in general, but the best way to groundhog proof your garden is to keep the groundhogs out, not to try and plant things they won't eat (they're pretty big, and what they don't eat they can still trample, plus I suspect the reason they're leaving some of your things alone now is just that you have tastier things around...remove the petunias and the impatiens may all of a sudden taste just fine!). Here's an interesting article which talks about how to build a fence to keep them out, and also has an interesting approach of dumping used kitty litter down their holes which will make them move on to less smelly areas. http://www.gardensalive.com/article.asp?ai=684&bhcd2=1214146124

South Coast, RI(Zone 6b)

Thanks for your answer, I did remove the petunias and pansies as they were in pots, I guess the rest is doomed. The yard is large and it backs up to wooded wetlands so fencing is really not an option. I've been here 8 years and this is the first problem I've had. There are lots of flowers to pick from but these are all they ate so far... I'll check out the link, thanks again.

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

This message was edited May 28, 2010 11:19 PM

Paris, IL(Zone 6a)

I know a couple of guys who prefer groundhog to squirrel. They say the meat is not as gamey tasting and there's more of it per animal. I never went over for stew but I was invited often.

North Hills, CA

They don't eat whatever your not growing.
At least thats what I've been told.
Same goes for Squirrels.
The squirrels eat everything my perents try to grow.It doesn't matter what they do to protect their garden.
Their dogs are their only real deterent but the squirrels learn to send out a decoy for them to chase while the rest munch down.I think they take turns when the decoy gets tired of laughing at the dogs after it wears them out from chasing the decoy all over the place.
They use the fences as places to hide behind while they tease the dogs on the other side.

Sparta, NJ(Zone 6a)

Don't bother deterring- get rid of them early in the season. I find the Groundhogs to be more destructive than deer- what they don't eat (which is very little), they trample. Invest in a large Hav-a-Heart and trap them early in the spring. In Northern NJ, they start coming out around April 1st. I mix whole and shreaded cabbage leaves with some sliced apple. I've also heard it suggested to spray the trap with a little apple cider as an additional lure. It's easier to catch them early in the season when the grass is just greening and food is still scarce.

If you don't catch anything by 7 in the evening, spring the trap and try again in the morning- this way you avoid trapping a raccoon or oppossum. When you catch them, take them for a long drive (>5 miles) to ensure they don't come back. I've trapped up to 12 in a season (including babies) and things usually stay quiet for a while...but keep your eyes peeled!

Good Luck!

Fairmont, WV(Zone 6a)

What woodchucks don't eat:
* Cement

I agree with pdools...don't bother deterring them, trap and relocate them. Be careful when handling or opening the trap with a woodchuck inside...they can be vicious when cornered. (My neighbor, who is a construction contractor, once tried to get rid of a woodchuck by smacking it on the head with a two-by-four. It turned on him and chased him all the way across the yard back to his house...and he is not a small or wimpy guy.)

Good luck :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.