June Daily Weather III, Summer Solstice is here.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Here we have the longest day of the year.
It was supposed to rain this evening.
I have a halogen lamp I'm taking out to plant more of my babies.
78.3 °F / 25.7 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 48%
Dew Point: 57 °F / 14 °C
Wind: 3.1 mph / 4 km/hfrom the SSW
Wind Gust: 5.8 mph / 9 km/h
Please come by often with your pictures and musings.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

In my last post I forgot to say : Sharon, I'll get pics of the boots as soon as I find the cable for the camera.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Happy Summer Solstice!

Hi 84 F
Lo 61 F After heavy rains last night.....the atmosphere seems to be less active today with isolated activity being the main threat. If a storm forms close to your location...watch out for high winds, heavy downpours, some hail, and cloud to ground lightning.

Have a good weekend.

Currently in Amarillo
80F (Feels like 80F) Sunrise: 06:33
Sunset: 21:04
Humidity: 38%
Visibility: 10.0 m

Partly Cloudy
Wind: E5
Barometer: 30.20

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Fog, 66°

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

The picture of the Cardinals is a little fuzzy, taken through the kitchen window. Now we know what happens during the day while we are at work! My little Hummer has been back 4 times this morning. I’ve been changing the nectar out every morning. I think he likes it! LOL!
Se_eds – That’s a huge jump in temps. Don’t give up on your flowers. Their beauty gives such joy back.
Dyson – You’ve been busy! I can’t wait to see the finished product.
Sidney - Pretty Gulf Frit to start the new thread!
TF – Is it still terribly hot in your area? How are the chicks doing?

74.1 °F / 23.4 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 92%
Dew Point: 72 °F / 22 °C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 3.6 mph / 5.8 km/h
Pressure: 30.06 in / 1017.8 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 72 °F / 22 °C
Visibility: 3.0 miles / 4.8 kilometers
UV: 2 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 500 ft / 152 m
Mostly Cloudy 2100 ft / 640 m
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m

Today
Patchy dense morning fog. Otherwise increasing cloudiness with a slight chance of showers and thunderstorms in the late morning...then showers and thunderstorms likely in the afternoon. High 88. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

I’m watering right now (just a little) in the hopes that it will bring the rain to us. Haven’t watered the lawn in almost 2 weeks. I’ve been training my lawn for the last 2 years to go with less water. Seems to be working pretty well although I have a little more weedage than I used to. Nothing major.

Here is Sylvester after a hard day of working in the lawn and garden yesterday. He was plum tuckered out.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Sidney: pretty butterfly. Planting in the dark--you are a real gardener!
LOL
Dyson: so glad you didn't lose the contents of your freezer. -- and you got some rain, too, as did TF! Hooray!

Sunny
High 91°F
Precip 10%
Wind: NNW 6 mph
Max. Humidity: 51%
UV Index: 10 Very High
Sunrise: 5:55 AM CT
Sunset: 8:25 PM CT
Avg. High: 89°F
Record High: 98°F (1988)
Partly Cloudy Overnight
Low 65°F
Precip 20%
Wind: WSW 3 mph
Max. Humidity: 70%
Avg. Low: 67°F
Record Low: 52°F (1992)

I took advantage of the early morning light and coolness to go out and take some photos. This is Rio Samba close-up. (drink-up, Sharon!--LOL)

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Sharon: we cross-posted. Sylvester is such a hoot! LOL

Here's a portion of our back yard this morning. DH, too, was "plum tuckered out" after mowing and weed-eating the front yard so he hasn't gotten around to weed-eating the edges of these beds. We just put them in last fall as lasagna beds, let them "cook" all winter, and planted them this spring, but the plants are growing and starting to fill in the H/B bed along the fence.

Thumbnail by marsue

Marsue - That Rio Samba is gorgeous! I have a question, why are they called lasagna beds? They are very pretty!

Here is my little Hummer

Thumbnail by MySharona
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=2712086 - lasagna beds

This message was edited Jun 22, 2008 9:59 AM

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Hot, humid, with isolated storms today.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks for posting that link to the lasagna beds for Sharon, Dyson.

Pepper: hot and humid is not good in my estimation! Stay inside where it's cool, if you can!

Marsue those beds will mature great. I like those rocks around them.
My "garden bones" all froze back in January or February. Funny how my GM would refer to that as the "Cold snap of February 08". I just know every thing is coming fresh out of the ground including most of my brugs.
Sharon I have a Lasagna bed that's 4 years old and one that's a year old. Where I pulled most weeds and then laid 4 sheets of wet news papers on top followed with 3" of mulch, I have no weeds. I also left the Live Oak leaves there.
Where i put down newspaper and 6" of potting soil 4 years ago I have some weeds along the edges. I tried to raise Hosta liners there. LOL.
Lee Valley packs with big sheets of news print and says use them to mulch with.
I have the prettiest 2 new shovels. I have named them my Bikini and French Shovels.
Now I must get some pictures.
We are supposed to get scattered showers. I'll be doing a rain dance to boot.
Sidney

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Ha, Sidney! I want to see some photos of those shovels! LOL Very intriguing names!

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

H'lo, all!
Been out moving plants around. You know - the stuff that you thought would be perfect in that spot, only to find out that spot's all wrong because of more sun that you remembered or too dry, or whatever.

Still thrilled about the quarter inch of rain we had yesterday!

Deb
(angelonia this morning)

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

¼"? I sat here watching the water flow down the road for ½ hour, nothing else to watch, the power was out and it really came down. I was thankful that I did not have to water yesterday.84° Thundering again but the sky looks clear.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Dyson: It's all in the perspective, I guess. :) DH was saying this morning that it'd be a great public works project to build a great big pipe to drain water from the Miss basin to Calif and the S.E. ... Feast or famine.
Deb

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

I think that is called the TVA

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

LOL at Dyson!!

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Interesting interview on "Glenn Beck" on CNN last week - Glenn interviewed Trace Adkins (I listen to old rock music not country, so I am not very familiar with this gentleman - nothing wrong with country and some of it I enjoy).

Anyways, Trace said "I live in Tenn. All my power is supplied by hydro. they shoot water down a pipe & it turns a turbine yet the cost of power has been going up & up, does it cost more to do this now?" may not be exact but is close enough of a quote.

I choked on that sip of coffee, That guy should be running for president.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

well, still hot here, just barely cooler and more humid, so you sweat more...

chicks are enjoying the shade!

yep, we got rains, just as i finished up milking the goat! i got soaked from her pen to running into the poultry shed. got stiuck in there at least 30 minutes while rian and hail poured down. ended up wiht a barrrel and a half of rain water though! and once i got to the house and changed into dry clothes, DH and i enjoyed a magnificent light show. cmaera not avialable... ;-(

Currently in Amarillo
83F (Feels like 83F) Sunrise: 06:33
Sunset: 21:04
Humidity: 41%
Visibility: 10.0 m

Clear
Wind: SW17
Barometer: 30.19

Hi 92 F
Lo 62 F
After heavy rains last night.....the atmosphere seems to be less active today with isolated activity being the main threat. If a storm forms close to your location...watch out for high winds, heavy downpours, some hail, and cloud to ground lightning.

Have a good weekend.

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Gentle people, We are having a gentle rain. We have not had a measurable rain since we got 1/4" on June 2 and June 3. We were scheduled for severe thunderstorms tonight and tomorrow (again) just as we have been for the past three weekends. But this time we are getting some light rain. Hooooray! Humidity 57% but still it is rain.

Thanks for the info on the lasagna beds!

Sidney – Love the names of the shovels! LOL!
Deb – WOW! The angelonia is beautiful! Is it a vine? I know exactly what you about about moving the plants around!
TF – Glad you got some rain and you too se_eds.

No rain again for us. Glad I watered everything yesterday.

71.6 °F / 22.0 °C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 90%
Dew Point: 68 °F / 20 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 30.03 in / 1016.8 hPa (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers

Today
Partly cloudy. Slight chance of showers and thunderstorms in the morning...then chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Some thunderstorms may produce gusty winds in the afternoon. High 88. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50%.

Our Hummer must have a nest somewhere close. It comes by very often. It always flies up around or into one of the Live Oaks between our house and the neighbors house. I hope it will get used to us being around this window. It's the only window in the kitchen.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Helloooo! Good Mornin! We have a temp of 61° & it's extremely foggy! We've had rain & boomin' T-storms since Saterday nite. We even had some hail. Glad I was paying attention! I had to go 'hide' my plants! :) 2 neighboring counties had flood warnings yesterday.
At Dublin...
Fog: 61°F
Feels like: 61°F
Barometer: 30 in
Dewpoint: 61°
Humidity: 100%
Visibility: NA
Wind: 0 mph
Sunrise: 6:03 AM
Sunset: 8:47 PM
UV Index: 0 Low

Love every one's pics! And the Lasagna Beds...I read about them last week (or week before) in an article on DG's. Very interesting.
Thanks everybody, for the nice comments on my 'rocks'. :D I plan on going around the house with them, if I can avoid the black snake.
Sidney, Thanks for the new thread! :D Is that a Fliterary?(sp)
Dyson...I hope you find the cable so we can see your tile! :D
Sharon...Hummers! :D Gary's in my prayers. :) Is it today that he goes for the chemo?
TF, Glad the chickies are OK.
Marylyn, The green 'stuff' on the rocks at the deck is Grass Moss (I think). It's a sedum that could be invasive, but I love it! Want some? I have enough for everybody! :D

The answer to the trivia is...B
The Dead Sea is 391 meters below sea level.

Today's trivia is...
What city has the most days with thunder each year on average?
a) Tororo, Uganda
b) Tampa, FL
c) Moscow, Russia
d) Tokyo, Japan

Well, I really have to go...to work.
Have a Great Day! (hope to be back later)
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Deb: lovely angelonia
We had a gentle rain this morning, se_eds. Very gentle. The driveway no longer looks wet. However, it is still overcast so there is hope that more rain will fall. Wouldn't you know it--we watered the lawn and the flowers all afternoon yesterday!
Sharon: it's nice that your feeder is in a spot where you can watch the hummer from inside. We have two hummers (at least--maybe more) that visit our feeder but the feeder is on the back porch away from a window. We have to be out on the porch in order to see the hummers.
Thinking of Gary today.
Joey: awww--JW looks so cute! give him a big kiss for me! Guessing D on the trivia--have no idea, really.

Currently 63º and overcast. Heading for a high of 91º

Thumbnail by marsue

Gary is having a treatment now. Will let y'all know more when I hear from DH. Thank you for the prayers!

JW is an absolute DollBaby!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm praying for Gary, Sharon!!

Here are my Bikini Shovel, My Bulb Hole tool and my French Shovel.
They are too pretty to use. The Bulber is much rougher to the touch.
The 2 new ones are slick as glass.
The Bikini is made for weeding. It's 2" and round on the front. It's reinforced on the back.
Here's the trio;
;)

Thumbnail by sugarweed

Here's a close-up. Pardon my fingerprints.

Thumbnail by sugarweed

And the back. I get them here; http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=2&p=56798&cat=2,44813,56834&ap=1
;)

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Great pics everyone! I have to catch up with you, just been busy writing an article and with the house. Locust in the grass .
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Yahoo! We got over an inch of rain last night! Se_eds: We also had had no more than 1/4" since June2. First day in 2 weeks I didn't have to water! AND it's thundering now, so I'm greedy and hoping for more!

Sharon: Hope Gary's treatment went well.

Joey: No idea on the trivia. I'll guess "Tokyo".

Deb

Thank you for the prayers! So far so good. Gary hasn't been sick. YAY! He's manning his MySpace site (I call it control central LOL!) and resting. He's drinking lots of fluids and ate 3 Big Macs. You go Buddy!

Joey – I’m going with B-Tampa. I just want to blow bubbles on JW’s belly!
Marsue – Pretty daylily! I wish we’d get more hummers! I guess in time we will.
Sidney – Those are some fancy tools! Nice!
Adina – We need more house pictures! LOL!

89.6 °F / 31 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 28%
Dew Point: 52 °F / 11 °C
Wind: 3.0 mph / 4 km/hfrom the West
Wind Gust: 6.7 mph / 10 km/h
Pressure: 30.03 in / 1016.8 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 87 °F / 31 °C
UV: 2 out of 16
Clouds: Few 4200 ft / 1280 m
Scattered Clouds 13000 ft / 3962 m
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m

Tonight
Partly cloudy. A 30% chance of showers and thunderstorms early in the evening. Patchy fog after midnight. Low 70. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph.

I take Gary for his 2nd round in the morning. Hopefully it goes as well as it did today.

Thumbnail by MySharona
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Somewhat hot today and sunny. Not too bad. Tomorrow after the storms roll in will be worse.

It's starting out warm and humid today. :P

75.0 °F / 23.9 °C
Humidity: 84%
Mostly Cloudy
Dew Point: 70 °F / 21 °C
Wind: 1.0 mph / 1 km/hfrom the West
Wind Gust: 6.3 mph / 10 km/h
Pressure: 30.15 in / 1020.9 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 75 °F / 24 °C
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m

Today
Partly cloudy. Highs around 90 coast. (This usually means around 93*) Northwest winds 5 mph shifting to the southeast in the afternoon.

Even with clouds like these...still no rain here.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

We've been having pop up showers in the afternoons. Yesterday my dh said it rained very hard at his work, about 10 miles from here, but we didn't get a drop. It's always funny how localized the storm cells are! Hopefully we will get more rain today; there's a 40% chance. I'm going to water the garden AND clean my car this morning, just to make sure. LOL

Praying for Gary.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 6:53am CDT (36 min ago)
Temperature 77 °F 25 °C
Dew Point 72 °F 22 °C
Humidity 84%
Pressure 30.12 in 1019.9 mb
Wind Speed Calm Calm
Wind Dir - -
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 81 °F 27 °C
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 73.9°F / 23.3°C
6 hour max temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 77.0°F / 25.0°C
0.00" precipitation at 6:53am CDT .

Thank you! LOL! I just got him home from day 2. He did really well during his treatments.
He took some cd's and sang (term used loosely!) to George Strait and John Michael Montgomery. Ummm, Gary couldn't carry a tune in a bucket, but he made everyone smile!

And he's got 3 more big macs a serving of fries and a coke! He's so funny.

(Zone 3b)

I've enjoyed "trying" to catch up. We had a wonderful trip up to the Fairbanks area. It was 5 days of real summer. In the 70's, sunny, blue sky w/2 quick thunder-rainstorms. Just beautiful there for the longest day. With summer half over, here in our area, we never got one. Much cooler/wetter than in the past few years.
51°~sunny
loss of 59 seconds daylight.
We tossed lilac blossoms into the creek that my parents loved to visit when they came up to visit. Our little tribute to them.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Helloo! We're cookin' this afternoon, w/a temp of 80° in the shade. I have had to work a little extra due to my boss having a death in the family...her 1st cousin wrecked on a 4-wheeler (ATV) & broke his neck. Very tragic. He was only 22 years old. Sad. :(
At Dublin...
Clear: 82°F
Feels like: 82°F
Barometer: 30.3 in
Dewpoint: 57°
Humidity: 42%
Visibility: 10 miles
Wind: 9 mph NW
Sunrise: 6:03 AM
Sunset: 8:47 PM
UV Index: 8 Very High

Kiska! YEAH! You're back! :D What a great tribute. :) And no wonder they loved to visit there! Gorgeous!
Thanks Sharon, Glad that Gary's doing OK thru his chemo. How long do they last? I'm praying that his spirit doesn't fade. Kids are so resilient. And those clouds Should have Produced!
Sidney, Love those tools! :D (except - 'thong' came to mind! LOL) Those may go on my 'have-to-have' list! :D
Marylyn, Watering & washing should do the trick! :D (at least it does for me! ;)
Adina? Do those little critters do much damage? Yuck!
Pepper, Hope it doesn't get too sweltering!
Thanks Marsue...Conside it done! ;)

The answer to the trivia is...A
Uganda has on average 251 days of thunder per year.

Today's trivia is...
What is the diameter of the largest measured tornado?
a) 2,167 feet
b) 3,557 feet
c) 5,250 feet
d) 10,468 feet

'See' Ya! :D
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm guessing D.

That was beautiful, Kiska!! :-)

Well, I cleaned out the car, but forgot to water the garden, so we've only had sprinkles so far. LOL The pop up storms are just starting to pop up on the radar, though, so there's still time.

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Joey, the critters don't have much to damage ! Your flower is amasing! I have one with green leaves!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.