Ground Nut - Apios americana

Litchfield, ME

I've recently identified a vine that made it's way from someone else's garden to mine is a ground nut. The root system is very unusual. It has a tuber every few inches on trailing underground roots. They are everywhere but don't seem to choke other plants.
I was told that these tubers could be fried or boiled and taste like small turnips. Has anyone every tried them? If so how did you cook them? Do you peel the skin off before eating?

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

wow always wanted to try one myself heard of them but never gotten to try one.

wow i wish things like that took residence in my yard

Litchfield, ME

They are really neat. I'll have to take a picture of the tubers to post. I guess I'll have to experiment with my own recipe!

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

I used to grow those, and I know the American Indians supposedly ate them, but not sure how to make them edible.
Have you googled ground nut recipes?
-T

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

I found this on the web:

"If you manage to gather a meal's worth of groundnut tubers (that is, without getting arrested in Southampton or catching a case of poison ivy along the Connecticut River, as I did) what is next? How do you cook them?

Pick up almost any book on edible wild plants and you will find a section of groundnut. Invariably recipes are included in such manuals: boiled groundnut, roasted groundnut, baked groundnut, sauteed groundnut; tubers may be peeled, sliced, diced, mashed or pureed. Some of these recipes are very imaginative and show real culinary creativity.

If you try out one of these experiments, you may be the first to taste the result. It is not recommended to eat raw tubers."

Litchfield, ME

Thanks for the great information! Too bad you weren't all closer so you could try a sample. The roasted idea sounds really good.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

hmm might have to find one to buy or something so i can try them. my grandma was indian and talked about them. which she tallked about a lot of things ive never tried.

let us know how it was

Litchfield, ME

I'd mail you some to plant if I knew it was ok (legal?)

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i dont see why it wouldnt be its a plant after all. and i see that a few venders are selling it and both are actually sold out.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

If you care to brave the woods and fight the ticks, this plant grows wild along our streams here in NW Missouri - cute little blooms and makes huge thickets of vines.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

no i dont do ticks ewwwwww

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.