Gynura,help!

Webb City, MO

How do I grown it? How do I use it? I need to know the culinary,herbal,& medicinal uses for Gynura. Ritchers Seed Co. says it will GROW,but if kept severely pruned it will be a bush.
I need all the help I can get.
If anyone needs to write me direct they may also do that. My email address is:chanks@4state.com

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Doubt if many of us can help here, Candy23.... In Chile the young stalks are stripped of their outer layer and eaten out of hand. It like LOTS of water and cool temps...that's all I know.

Keaau, HI

Gynura aurantiaca is the Velvet plant.

Gynura aurantiaca x procumbens, or 'Purple Passion', is the purple passion vine.

Gynura bicolor is known in Hawai'i as "Okinawan Spinach", and the leaves are rich in vitamins and may be eaten raw in a salad or cooked like spinach.

All three plants can be grown from cuttings. They need a good soil, sunny location, and regular watering.
I grow Gynura bicolor, just by breaking off stems, removing most of the leaves (except for the tip) for food, and sticking it in the ground. They need little care. They must be trimmed back once in a while to keep them from taking over your garden.
Eat the trimmed leaves, plant the stems. The leaves work well in a Greek salad!

Aloha, Dave

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.