Please help ID this plant, not much to go on, sorry.

Bendigo, Australia

This is only a baby photo of this plant and it's seeds and that's all I have to offer, as far as an image is concerned. I picked up the seeds from a plant at a property that was being auctioned, but I didn't think to take a photo of the plant. Anyway. The plant itself was around 5 ft tall, had pink "begonia like" flowers on it, with large jagged edged leaves and large spikety pods containing 5 seeds in each. I had no idea about how to grow it, but popped the seeds in, watered, covered and almost all of them came up. I am in Central Victoria, they popped up about 4 weeks ago. Anyone have any ideas??? I would appreciate any feedback. This is my first time on this forum, so be kind! Thanks in advance.

Thumbnail by chrysies
Inland S.E QLD , Australia

Castor oil plant. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/1449/
I hope this helps! Welcome to Daves garden too!!

This message was edited Jun 21, 2008 3:19 PM

Bendigo, Australia

Wow!! Thanks Brical1, I would never have even come close to guessing the name of this plant. You have done an excellent job identifying it for me. I have checked out the photos but there is no info on it, is there somewhere else on the site that will tell me more? Also I am glad to know that the seeds are poisonous...because my foxie Rosie eats everything. Thanks for your help. Cheers chrysies.

Bendigo, Australia

Oh No, I've just found out that I have reproduced a noxious poisonous weed!!! I found it on google, I had no idea it would be on the Australian Weed list. No wonder it didn't have a problem growing. Oh well, that's one project down the drain or should I say, into the bin. Now theres a lesson to be learnt, if you are trying to identify a plant, check out the Australian Weeds index!! Thanks again Brical1. Cheers GG

Bendigo, Australia

Hi Chrysies, good to see another Bendigonian!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.