Desert rose (NOID)

Beverly Hills, FL(Zone 8b)

It's doing better this year than last. Could be the repotting to a larger pot or it's just getting use to me!

Thumbnail by mimianvy

Larger view of the plant.

Thumbnail by mimianvy

The whole plant.

Thumbnail by mimianvy
Copenhagen, Denmark(Zone 7b)

Nice plant, Mimianvy!:-) It looks giant to me - how big is the pot?

Best regards,

Martin

Hello there, Martin

The pot is 18 inches across and 8 inches deep.

Mountlake Terrace, WA(Zone 8a)

That is one beautiful plant with beautiful flowers. I only wish I lived in a climate that could allow me to grow such a nice plant.

AnalogDog, you can - but it takes a while to grow big Adeniums.;-)

Best regards,

Martin (who lives in a cold climate)

Thumbnail by MartinDK

Thank you both for the wonderful comment. It's gets a little chilly where I live (but not like Washington) and I do have to 'store' my DR for the winter so that it doesn't freeze. It seems to always come back every year. I store it with my plumeria.

Martin, you have a collection. I especially am intrigued by the brown calyx one that you have in your picture. How many do you have? Does it get very cold where you are?

Mountlake Terrace, WA(Zone 8a)

Are they 'stored' for much time? Sun, shade, darkness?

I just put it in the garage (where it will not freeze) for the winter. Than bring it out in the spring when all danger of frost is gone. The plant will loose all it's leaves during this time, but will grow back in the spring. Don't water or feed it while it's "hibernating". :)

I put mine inside in September or first of October (depends on the weather) - and give them a sunny spot. I reduce watering to no watering at all, when leaves drop.

For the past three weeks, the weather here has been quite changeable with fairly low temperatures (60-75 F). I don't have a protected spot for my plants outside, so I keep moving them inside and outside - in between downpours and sunshine. May 2008 was the sunniest month in Denmark since 1920 (my plants really thrived) but so far June has been dreadful with too many cold and rainy days.:-( I want the summer to come back!

Best regards,

Martin

Plumiedelphia, PA(Zone 7a)

Awesome adenium!
Ive read of them growing to 4 foot in as little as 3 years with the right conditions (man made)

Las Cruces, NM(Zone 8a)

MartinDK....I am totally impressed with your ability to grow adeniums, sans greenhouse (or is your "sunny spot" within the confines of a glasshouse?). I thought these plants required much heat to be grown well. My only experience with adeniums is from growing a few plants in coastal GA, and, now, southern New Mexico. In GA, the plants were stashed in the dark garage for winter. So far....my NM plants get to revel in the high light conditions of a small, cool greenhouse for the "cold season". Unfortunately, I may have to resort to garage storage once again,...sigh...as my small collection grows.

Yodie, hold on. ;-) I didn't grow them from seeds myself. It would take many years to achieve such growth here! However, in between downpours and cloudy, cold weather in the summer, the sun is able to speed up the growth considerbly. The past week with temperatures around 80-85 F has been great. I am waiting for a second flower display of one of my bigger Adeniums.:-)

Best regards,

Martin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.