Florida Zone 9rs

Dade City, FL(Zone 9a)

When will you plant the seeds for your fall crop? I am jumping the gun I think. I just put a few tomato seeds in starter mix and put them under the lights on a heat mat.

Is it too early for this or when do you start yours. It seems I am a 9A. Inland, just north of Tampa.

Beverly Hills, FL(Zone 8b)

I would like to know about this also. There is an interesting thread in the tomato forum about starting tomato via the sucker that was cut off the plant. I'm thinking that is what I want try.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

There's a topic just started on the Tomato Forum, too..."Anyone have luck w/Fall Tomatoes?" asking the same question.

I remember asking Flip this question earlier in the year, and I think he said to start seeds in August so the bulk of the worst heat would be over before plant-out. This will be my sister's first foray into veggie gardening, so I want to steer her right! Last year I sent her a few seeds of Cherrio, but we didn't know the dates and she started her seed along with me. She was so tickled with the abundance of tomatoes she got, even though they were short-lived. The fall crop should be better for her.

I look forward to hearing the replies from those in the know!

Happy gardening!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

It is also determined by your last frost and how cold your days get in November, December, and January. I am sowing seeds tomorrow and will plant sometime in July.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.