Duchess of Albany

Timnath, CO(Zone 5b)

She's starting to bloom. This is a massive vine. I have her on a 5 foot trellis and it's *way* too small but I haven't had a chance to get a new one for her yet. She is wrapped around it a gazillion times and it's a real rat's nest in there. But she's still gorgeous.

Thumbnail by Meig
Timnath, CO(Zone 5b)

Closeup of the blooms.

Thumbnail by Meig
Parkersburg, WV

Very pretty

(Zone 4a)

Oh Meig she is pretty! I would love to have one like that!

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

Very, very pretty. My neighbor and I were at the garden center last week and she bought one, she loved the picture of it when she saw it. Wait until I show her your picture! I bought 3 Polish Spirit for the front split rail fence. I'm getting so many good ideas from all of you on this forum. I keep eyeing different areas where I can place more!

(Zone 4a)

Oh medinac I bought a polish spirit this year too!!! I can't wait to see it bloom!!!

This message was edited Jun 20, 2008 10:56 PM

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

DawnLL - Was that the one for your arbor, if I remember correctly? I'm new to clematis so I pop in and read often. Yes, it will be exciting to see it blooming. I was very pleased with the plants, very full and healthy. I had a nice woman help me out and ran and got 3 nice ones for me as the ones on the table were kinda spindly. Can't wait to see them climb and bloom!

(Zone 4a)

You have a good memory - yes I planted one on the leg of my pergola!!!! However the plant is still pretty small for me but I am still hoping to see some blooms on it......

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Gorgeous! I can't believe that you got her to bloom so early! Most texensis varieties bloom later in the Summer. "Duchess of Albany" most really love where you planted her!

Timnath, CO(Zone 5b)

Shirley, she's on a south wall and gets sun pretty much ALL day so that might have something to do with it.

That probably explains it and the fact that she's very happy.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Shirls right...It probably is all that sun..My Texensis varieties have bloomed already and have been hard pruned for round 2...Jeanne

I'm still waiting for my texensis varieties to bloom. They are all setting flower buds.

Mahomet, IL

This is one of absolute favorites! I have Duchess of Albany growing on my chain link fence on the south side of my house, and she has really taken off this year (despite being nibbled to the ground several times by rabbits).

I also have what I thought was Climador growing on a small trellis by my deck--and it is taking over the deck and everything in its path. I couldn't figure out why a 4 to 6 foot clematis was growing so big (especially in less-than-optimal conditions), or why the buds had a reddish cast to them. Then the first bud bloomed yesterday...and yep, it's also Duchess of Albany. (That's quite a mislabeling!) I'm not unhappy about that, since I love Duchess and had planned to get another one anyway. It just really surprised me that it was so mislabeled, since Climador and Duchess are nothing alike. Oh well--

Tomah, WI

Meig- Your Dutchess is gorgeous! I just got her this spring. I hope mine looks like yours in a few years.

Timnath, CO(Zone 5b)

Here is the Duchess as of today. I love this clem.

Thumbnail by Meig
Timnath, CO(Zone 5b)

And one more.

Thumbnail by Meig
Timnath, CO(Zone 5b)

mattsmom,

She will :) This is such an easy clem to grow. Just give her lots of sun and some bonemeal in the spring and she's a happy girl.

Tomah, WI

Absolutely gorgeous! Love the shape of those blooms!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Meig..absolutely stunning!@!!!...Jeanne

It's getting more and more beautiful!

(Zone 5b)

Doing a search and ran into this...
Just had to tell you.. BEAUTIFUL!

Looking forward to pix from this year,
Bonnie

(Zone 4a)

Oh goodness I guess this one is too big for my tuteur - she is a beauty but I would have to put her somewhere else other than my tuteur.....

I have Duchess of Albany planted on both sides of an arbor and it gets such thick growth that one year a bird built a nest in it which was well hidden. My sister liked mine so she also planted two by an arbor the next year they were slow showing growth. She decided they were not going to make it and planted two more now it is really too much and she has to prune them a lot during growing season. Once they are established they do a good job of covering an arbor.

(Zone 4a)

Ok thanks for pointing that out...I should be looking for something much smaller! LOL

Delaware, OH

that is a beautiful duchess of albany for sure. most of the texensis are slow to establish for me. that is the prettiest one i have seen.
if not i f full full sun i find they are "leggy" with a long petiole between leaves and flowers, which can make them nice to fill in an area.
however, this one, (i am assuming it is in full sun) is gorgous. i just added a princess diana last fall and a sir lawrence trevor (both texensis) they are alive this year, but i am not expecting a lot this year from them based on how i have done with etoile violette (my best texensis), duchess of albany, and gravetye beauty.
your is gorgoeus.

note to dawn, you can always put the duchess on your shorter structure and then change the structure to a larger one in future when it reaches the stage for more. or give it something to hop onto behind the shorter structure when it needs it.
can't wait for full on spring.

(Zone 4a)

Thanks Guru but I don't have any other structures near it.....(once I place it). I think I would have a clematis that will fit my tuteur rather than having to change it to accomodate the clematis.

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Have you added those last two pictures to plantfiles, yet?
Those are gorgeous!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.