Best way to put weight on two young horses?

Easton, KS(Zone 5b)

Hi, a guy is keeping some horses on my farm in return for building some fences for me. 2 of the horses are way too thin, and grass is not enough for them - they are only 2 years old, and they are small, really ponies, I suppose. I figure I'll just have to supplement the grass since the guy who owns them doesn't have any money at all. Maybe I should just buy them from him?

Should I give them beet pulp? I give it to my senior horse in the winter, seems to keep him healthy (along with his equine senior). Or can I get by with just some sweet feed? His other horses appear to be just fine, easy keepers, but these two, I'm concerned about.

They are in a huge pasture that is about 40 acres right now (6 horses total). But the grass is not as good there as in the little 4 acres pasture that my 5 Angora goats and my own two horses are in. I'm thinking about moving the two little horses into that pasture - it has a thick growth of brome in it. Or, should I be giving them hay? I've never run into a problem with horses not gaining weight before, hopefully some of you might have some good advice.

This thread has 17 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!