Blue columnar evergreens - good choices for zone 6b/7a?

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I am planning four large shrub borders (large borders, and relatively large shrubs); I want to incorporate several textures and forms, including some 10' or taller slender/columnar-shaped evergreens.

I was originally leaning toward 'Wichita Blue' junipers, but after reading up on them, I don't think they'd withstand the high humidity we get here in middle Tennessee.

So now I'm leaning toward Arizona Cypress (Cupressus) 'Carolina Sapphire' - hoping I can shear it to keep its girth in check. (Given that it's a common tree for the Christmas tree industry, I figure that's possible; o)

But are there better choices that won't need frequent grooming? My ideal mature plants would be a distinctive blue-gray, 3-4' across, and 10-12' tall.

Our soil is heavy clay on top of limestone, but these borders are raised up 6" or so to create a subtle "berm" effect.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I can think of more than a few bluish/grayish conifers that are narrow, but don't rest at 3-4' across and only 10-12' tall. The two you've mentioned will easily exceed that as well, except if you are willing to shear/prune them as you've mentioned.

Since you aren't asking too much...here are some that nearly fit your bill (but are bigger overall than your ideal, in time):

Picea omorika (often used as narrow sheared screening in Germany)
X Cupressocyparis leylandii 'Naylor's Blue' (ditto to above)
Abies concolor, esp. a clone like 'Candicans'
Picea pungens 'Iseli Fastigiata'

These should all be acceptable on limestone-based clay soils, but you are a bit warmer than we are here. You are so close to the epicenter of nursery madness in TN - you ought to just cruise by some of the niftier places and see what old plants inhabit the landscapes at their places of business.

Thanks! I'll take a look at those ASAP.

Ironically, mail order is probably the route I'll have to go for selection and price.

McMinnville is a great place for nursery plants - as long as you're willing to stick with the tried-and-true stuff. But unless you're buying wholesale, you're not going to get into a lot of the nurseries down there; the ones that will sell to retail customers don't offer much variety.

The nurseries that offer more exotic fare tend to carry larger plants (20 gallon pots) at a higher price point.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Abies concolor 'Candicans' isn't small, it'll get 20 metres tall and with a crown 8 metres or more wide.

Picea omorika is nice and narrow, but will soon get too large, also 20m or more tall.

I'd go for Juniperus scopulorum 'Skyrocket', that's more in the size range you want.

Resin

Resin, I had originally considered Juniper scopulorum 'Wichita Blue' , but I understand they don't fare well in hot, humid conditions, which we endure for a good 3-plus months each year.

Eau Claire, WI

I was browsing at a nursery this past week and came across J. virginiana 'Blue Arrow'. A bit uniform/symetrical for my taste, but a very nice blue. BTW, 'Skyrocket' seems to be confused in the trade as I see it listed as J. virginiana about as often as it is Scopulorum.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Hey, Terry! (-:

Pls. tell me, what did you decide to buy?

I'm planning a mixed shrub border too, and I'm pretty clueless on these.

Thanks! t.

I ultimately went back to the Arizona Cypress. In fact, I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of five of them, which I purchased from Sunset Growers out of Georgia.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.