Grubs in my bales?!?!

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Is this unusual... usual.. or just freakish?
Matt, (my husband) planted some pak choi in a couple of bales, for what ever reason it bolted and we decided to pull it up and plant some purple bush beans.
Imagine our shock when just under the surface we found 100s of grubs!
He started scratching the surface of the bales and found most were infested.... I nearly lost the organic "high road" battle right then and there, he was sooo angry he wanted to race to Home Depot for some horrific "Grub Blaster".

I was able to convince him to try Neem oil, the grubs squirmed, looked as if they were suffering and withered before dying. (I'm sorry he's a dude and was greatly satisfied to see the invaders suffer)

My question is where do you think they came from? The bales? The bagged manure we spread on the top while preparing them?
Have any of you had a problem with grubs in your bales?

Dove
PS We had a cool spring and although the bale garden has been slow to take off, things are perking up and growing nicely.

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

No grub info from the strawbale folks?

Pipersville, PA(Zone 6b)

Gee, Dovey- I don't have enough experience to speak intelligently to this- Kent may know more . . . he's been doing it the longest. Try DMailing him if he doesn't see this thread soon.

Good luck! Suz

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

We haven't been at it for long either.
I just wanted to know if it's a potential bale problem we should be on guard for, of it was something we added to the bale that caused it.

Thanks for the response Suz *S*

Wake Forest, NC

dovey: no clue about grubs in a bale. Never experienced them.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Dovey, Sorry, just saw your post.

I have never heard of this.

Start from the first and go forward. i.e. Where did you get the bales and do you know wht kind they are? Such as oats, wheat, etc.? If that would not be the cause, what did you put on them? Would the plants themselves have had any in the soil? Or did you start from seed? If so, what soil did you use? Where did you get the seed? It could have had eggs in it. Then what did you add? Bagged manure you said. Was it sterile?

Even a cool spring would not have been the problem. Obviously, something had the eggs in it. The bales, the soil from the plants, the manure???

I am sorry I laughed but you know, even weirder than the grubs being there was using neem oil on them. I have never heard of that before. Using neem on grubs. Does it say on the label it is for grubs?

Please let us know if you come up with an answer. So curious.

Jeanette

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks Kent,
That's pretty much what I wanted to know... if it is or, is not, a common problem for bale gardeners.

Jeanette,
All but 2 of my bales came from a reliable source, they had been stored in a barn, clean, dry and never exposed to weather.

We started every vegetable from seed and never saw a single sign of grubs when they were transplanted.

After thinking it over I realized grubs actually living, over-wintering in the bales was unlikely since they lay their eggs in the soil and the grubs emerge from - live in soil.
Therefore I feel it must have come from the bagged steer manure, I don't recall if it was sterile.
The bags did sit outside in the garden the entire winter, it's possible the grubs entered the bags through small holes that developed as the manure froze and thawed.

I wasn't sure neem oil would work, we checked the label and sure enough it listed grubs. Neem is fab stuff and It killed the grubs on contact. I had Matt mix it up in the watering can and just pour it into the bales, a light spray was not going to work. My biggest concern was that the oil would coat the vegetable's tender roots and endanger their ability to absorb water. All is well and we had zero side effects.

Cheers
Dove

There is no reason to give up the Hula...

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Dovey,

That is so cool. Your solution. Kind of made a detective out of you didn't it. Glad you treated them the way you did because the neem should have coated any eggs those grubs would have laid. Don't you think?

Jeanette

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Yes it was very Nancy Drew of us wasn't it? *S*
Although if I'm not mistaken grubs don't lay eggs, the Japanese beetles do.
I've heard that to a degree neem oil is systemic, so it could make the plants less tasty to bugs and more resistant to some diseases.

Anyhow I really appreciate how you are always there to give insight and encouragement.

Cheers
Dove

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Dovey, I did not know neem is a systemic. It won't make the plants toxic for you to eat will it??? You are right about the eggs but then whether the grubs lay them or the beetles do they still should be zilch. Right? Sorry, that is not the word I was looking for, OH TOAST!!

LOL, nite,

Jeanette

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

I suppose if someone ingested a large amount they would probably need medical attention. I certainly would keep it away from children.
But neem is sold in capsule form for human consumption, also in lotions and toothpaste.
http://www.organixsouth.com/theraneem.html

And yes, anything in the soil is now toast, which is good and bad... if there were worms the neem would have killed them as well. I use it very carefully because it will kill a ladybug as fast as it will kill grub, although organic, neem is more like my last resort... something I use when I need the big guns.

Dove
If you're after getting the honey, then you don't go killing all the bees...
Joe Strummer & the Mescalaros

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Here is some info on the Systemic properties of Neem:

Active neem constituents can be absorbed through plant roots and systemically move upward through the plant through xylem tissues (Gill and Lewis 1971, Larew 1988, Nisbet, et al. 1993, Osman and Port 1990). This works best when sufficient quantities are applied to the root zone. Systemic effects are much less apparent from foliar sprays. Different plant species also differ widely in their ability to have systemic effects from neem. Neem constituents last much longer within the plant than when sprayed on the leaves. However, over time they will be diluted by growth.

http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/pp/resourceguide/mfs/08neem.php

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Very interesting. Like I said, I had no idea neem is systemic.

Jeanette

Pipersville, PA(Zone 6b)

This forum is so valuable- such a wealth of information!

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

That's funny. I saw this thread on my list and thought: "Oh no, Doveys got grubs again"!! But it was you Suzan. Sure glad. I was sure she had her grubs taken care of.

Jeanette

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

We've found a few more, but just did some more watering with neem.

I really hope I'm keeping them at bay, if these things made their way to full on Japanese Beetles our garden would be toast. I'm wondering if soapy water would have the same effect, I'm a little afraid to give it a try in case it doesn't work.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Dove, in Seattle people throw soapy water on their lawns to see if they have Crane Fly. I guess it brings the grubs to the top if they are there.

Jeanette

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Well I did a little test and I don't think soapy water will do the trick, after floating in a bucket of soapy water over night the grubs still had a bit of wiggle left in them. (At least the beetles were goners)

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Oh Dovey, I didn't mean the soapy water would kill the grubs. I meant to see if you have them in the lawn. That was just something I was telling you about Crane Flies. I don't know what to do other than the neem. And that sounds like it works.

Jeanette

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh well, I'm always willing to give the least toxic a try... *S*

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Maybe what you need are some of my moles. They say the moles are after the grubs not the roots of my rose that they just ate off.

Jeanette

Solsberry, IN(Zone 6a)

I would be happy to see grubs-I reached in to pull a cucumber the other day and laying on one of the bales(about 2 inches from my fingers) was a snake! Scared the crap outta me and hubby now has cucumber pullin duty!

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

LOL, sorry, not funny. I assume it was a harmless snake. They are really good in your garden. That is a sign of a healthy garden. Good for you.

Jeanette

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

That's a new one. Growing snakes in strawbales!!! Wonder if I planted a single kernel I could grow a unicorn...???

Doug (full of it as usual!)

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

LOL, now I know why the post office is so screwed up. Or is it the post office that screws the employees up?

Jeanette

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

I think a snake would startle me too...!
I don't know enough about snakes to know which ones are deadly to man and which ones are deadly to garden pest.

Indeed Doug I believe you would- that must be where they come from!

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Perhaps you are right Dovey and Doug. Guess I never thought about a unicorn in that light before. : )

Jeanette

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.