Walnut tree

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Can anyone tell me what kind of walnut tree this is?

Thumbnail by stormyla
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Black Walnut Juglans nigra.

Resin

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Thank you Resin. I was so hoping that it wasn't. I've a very large flower bed and this sits right in the center. There are also seedlings popping up everywhere daily. Yesterday, I removed 3 saplings. Somewhere there must be a list of compatable plants, would you know where?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

There are lots of sites that have lists--I've found them before by googling something along the lines of plant under walnut.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Ecrane. I found several. Oh, do I have a lot of plant moving to do!!!!!!!!! I have several Azaleas & Laurels that are thriving after 2 years directly under the tree. Do you all think they should be moved?

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

If they're thriving, no need to move them.

Resin

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Resin. That laurel is doing exceptionally well. I lost several beautiful deciduous azaleas that were very close to it. It's tough even 200' away, because the seedlings pop up everywhere. I must pull 15 to 20 a day. The azaleas that are doing well under it are newer varieties that bloom in spring & fall. I
wanted to comment on them in pf but couldn't find them listed & only know parts of their names.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I agree with Resin, if the plants have been there for a while and are doing fine then there's no need to move them. For the azaleas--what are the parts of the names that you know? Maybe someone else can help you figure out if they're in Plant Files or not.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Thank you , Ecrane. I bought them on Ebay and the seller did not give their complete names. I will go through my records and send you what I have. I'll also try contacting him and see if he can provide more info. Maybe these new ones are more Juglone resistant.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.