I need advice please

(bestest fairy)Tempe, MI(Zone 5b)

Here is a picture I took yesterday of my Multi Blue-why is it purple??? I had gotten it to be more of the shade of the pics in PF....it is on a S facing wall so it gets sun almost all day and is growing very well...I need to know how to make it more blue:(

Thumbnail by Fairy1004
Delaware, OH

multi blue will open bluer earlier in the season and in relation ,too, to sunlight. i am not aware of anything to alter color except sunlight and time of year and age of bloom,which changes as the bloom matures on the vine. if anyone knows of anything else would love to know about it. here is a multi blue in june, after the plant has been blooming for 6 weeks in zone 5 b. it is growing with a countess bouchard, which has now started blooming.

Thumbnail by ClematisGuru

Is yours in full sun?? This is my 1st bloom on it and it was about a week old when I took the pic, but has been the same color ever since it opened...I just wanted a more blue color and am a little upset about the fact it is purple:( Thanks...

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Fairy..My Multi-Blue has always been the colour of the one you have...It's a beautiful flower and pic...Jeanne

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Gorgeous combo, Niobe, especially with your beautiful art work in your garden!

well hmmm-I am upset now-the color palate I have there is (and please excuse my spelling): Violet Veinosa, Minuet, Multi Blue, Princess Diana and Haku Ookan...I wasnt light purple, light pink, blue, dark pink and dark purple:(

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Hello Stacey,
Jeanne is right of course. Mine is also the color of the one you show!! It is not a true blue! It is more in the deep purple/red family than blue...for me! There are some nice blue ones..Durandi is real nice and real blue!
How are you? Playing with your clematis i see!!
Julie

OMG Julie-I have been busy!! Got my 4 new clems in and netting up for them to climb and got my new 20' X 10' bed dug out today w/ BIL help!! Now to lay the mulch and plant!! I have seen Durandii and want that one too:) I got my 4 clems from Silver Star and REALLY want a couple from Chaulk Hill (expeciallly Rooguchi), but am hesitating because of the shipping....did you order??

Delaware, OH

for the pink lovers, to me, regency is a true hot pink clematis. here is a bloom form this year. i consider it a true hot pink solid color clematis. etoile rose has a white margin , but is also a very dark pink.

Thumbnail by ClematisGuru

ooo-pretty!! I wouldn't say that I love all of any one color of clematis-I just see some that catch my eye and think that I can't live w/o them!!LOL

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

WOW Fairy your new flowerbed is going to be awesome with all your new clematis..how exciting..congrats...Jeanne

No clems in that one-I have 2 of them on the side-in my campanula and glad bed and 5 of them in my other bed w/ colimbine, roses, echies and astrantia...but I will have to take pics!! I would love to put a couple clems in the new bed w/ towers for them to climb up:) Will have to take a B4 & after pic of the new one...

Here is a pic of the place I have the 5

Thumbnail by Fairy1004

That's going to be beautiful when all your Clematis are in bloom.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Very pretty..is that lavender coloured bush on the right your campanula?

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

I think multi-blue is supposed to have varied blooms - ("multi")
I love the stained glass in the background - did you make it? Does it hang out all year or do you bring it in in the winter?
Sharon

The one on the right is Mystic Merlin Malva and the one on the L is Walker's Low Catmint...both are way bigger than the tags said and need to be moved!!

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Malva Mystic Merlin will reseed like crazy - keep it somewhere where you don't mind crowds of it. I have it and it IS pretty.
Sharon

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks Fairy..I planted Malvas one year and they got HUGE and reseeded like madhatters...I guess you are luckier being in a more milder temperate zone...Jeanne

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Hey Stacey,
It sounds as if Chris won't recognize the place when he gets home! LOL!! I hate to show you my plants. I am slightly overwhelmed!!! I have sooooo Much work to do!
Glad to see you are worling hard at yours too! I have a couple of beauties I'll get some pic.s to post today!! I want to order but i am holding back. Chalk Hill going out is too bad! Oh well leaves room for a new grower??
Hello Jeanne??? Any thoughts???
LOL!!!
Julie

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Hey Julie...Hope all is well in your clematis world...thoughts about what?...LOL...Jeanne

The newest Clematis grower that I'm aware of is Hummingbird Farms in Maine. This is their fist year selling Clematis via the Web. Therefore, they have a limited selection, but I'm hoping that they will offer many more in subsequent years.

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Jeanne a Clematis Nursery ....What else!!! LOL!!
You'd be great. You have desire and knowledge !!
Just a thought!
Julie

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Julie..thanks for the vote of confidence but...I am retired now and enjoy my own gardens..they are plenty of work for me...I can't imagine having to work again...

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

I hear that!! I have a small business and was just starting up a second one. But just yesterday i told my partner I was not interested in going into the second business!! I am not retired but OHHHHH
I would like to be!! I am 57, I figure maybe by 65 I can stop working. It all depends on the country and how things are going!! You know!! I don't know how people on fixed incomes are making through this very trying few years of triple digit increases in every thing that is a necessity!!! It's got to be hurting many retirees.
Well enjoy your retirement. I'll just be jealous over here in Michigan!!
Julie (green with envy!!)

I didn't know you were 57!!! WOWSERS!! I would have guessed about 10 years younger:)

Weslaco, TX(Zone 9b)

Hi Y'all: I have always loved clematis & bought 3 two yrs. ago. I have them in pots as my soil is heavy clay. One I lost pretty quick to a lawn mower,but the others in the pots were doing well until my son arrived to "help me out". My Jacmanii was looking pretty sick with lots of brown leaves,but it had been holding it's own through temps. well above 100. It even had a few blooms this summer. Well DS ,not knowing anything about Clematis & not asking me ,cut it down. It is down to the ground with only a few green leaves showing. Is there any hope for this plant? I would appreciate knowing as I just bought 3 more. I have warned him to stay away. don't think he will do do anything to them as they are just babies. I think maybe I bit off more than I can chew. Maybe my zone is too hot for Clematis. What do you think? Just asking & hoping for an answer.

Dmail Jeanne-she lives in TX too-she would know best how to answer your ??

I'm not Jeanne, but here is my 2 cents worth. Your Clematis that were cut down will be fine. Just make sure that their soil does not dry out. You might want to put a ring of rocks around the base of your Clematis plants or some chicken wire, so that you don't inadvertantly pull these vines out thinking that they are weeds. By cutting down your Clematis they will develop a more extensive root system and there by more vines. I would fertilize them with either Rose or Tomato food and keep them well watered, especially in your hot growing zone. They will rebound with renewed vigor and lots of blooms to thank you for giving them some t.l.c.

Good luck!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Mommie..Shirley gave you sage advice...they will come back..Just remember that clematis love to have their roots stay moist..even more so during the hot dry summers..so water them well...I walk around and stick my finger into the soil around my clematis and if drying out I water well..and deep letting it soak in and also mulch well to retain moisture..remembering to keep the mulch pulled away from the vines so you won't have fungal problems...Jeanne

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Hey Fairy thanks for the 10 years younger thing!! But no, Loretta and i are closer in age than
you and I..LOL!!!I wish I was your age..My knees would work alot better!
Julie

Well ma'am-you have aged might well!! I think it is your sense of humor that keeps you young!! You are always laughing!!

Weslaco, TX(Zone 9b)

Thanks everyone for the advise! I'm feeling pretty confident now. I must remember that Clems like their roots cool & keep them mulched. Looking forward to next yr. & all the lovely blooms.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.