Tomatoes and mulch

Columbus, OH

For all you guys that helped me with my upside down tomato project, many thanks.

Now mulch is my albatross. I guess I need it, but it either stinks so bad I can't be near it or I'm allergic to it--or both. What do you do?

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

For tomatoes? Straw is really the best mulch.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I agree with Melissa. I've had great luck with straw mulch. Sometimes I put down newspaper under it for an extra layer of weed prevention. The straw seems to help if any fruits are on ground, keeps them from rotting on the bottom. I've used grass clippings with great success too.

This message was edited Jun 20, 2008 3:58 PM

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I have hardwood mulch down on my tomatoes, but only because they're in the front of our house along the driveway and I don't want to have straw there. I wish we could have a regular veggie garden in back, where I can experiment with straw bale gardening, different kinds of mulch, and such without worrying about violating some city ordinance. LOL

Columbus, OH

Thanks again you guys. My other vegetables are peppers, cabbage and cucumbers. Something is liking them all. Any suggestions for something to spray or dust on them?
The garden stores are like the cereal aisle in the grocery store. Too many choices.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

My first defense is usually Neem oil (I get it from Lowes here), a plant extract based spray from the neem tree that grows in India. It doesn't work on Japanese beetles or Blister beetles, but I've found it effective for most other garden insect pests.

Columbus, OH

Gemeni_sage, as soon as the store is open, I'm on my way to Lowe's. Chemicals don't tickle my fancy, so I am especially eager to try Neem oil. Thanks so much.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.