Allamanda

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

My allamanda is blooming.

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Of course I had to split it to see the inside.

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Close up of stigma and ovary. I looked closely but really couldn't see anything that resembled pollen on the structures covering the stigma. But I do see some round objects at the base of the ovary.

This message was edited Jun 19, 2008 2:19 PM

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Link removed

This message was edited Jul 3, 2008 9:28 PM

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

very pretty X

Vieques, PR

Very scientific and interesting. It's a great plant!

Here's what we are doing with allamanda (along with a jasmine vine and a coule passifloras) to enclose an outside shower.

Thumbnail by JPlunket
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I like it too .. still looking for pollen. I love what you have done with yours. I wish I could do that here with my allamanda a beaumontia but I'm in the wrong zone to let them winter over outside the greenhouse. I'm still trying to figure out how these get pollinated. The hairs over the stigma remind of corn silk.

Has yours produced any seeds?

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

X, is that the alamanda we traded?

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Why yes it is! How's the vigna doing?

X

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

it's really blooming! i almost lost my alamanda, but it came back, but hasn't bloomed yet

Sunset Beach, NC(Zone 8a)

X

Do you have a vigna carcalla (sp?) aka corkscrew vine? How's it doing in your area? I brought a cutting with me from FL and I still haven't put it in the ground - guess I'm wondering if it should be in a pot.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Hi,

I've got 5 plants .. they do really well here .. I grow them in 1 gallon pots with a cage for them to climb on. I winter them over in my greenhouse since they aren't hardy in our zone. They lose their leaves and go dormant.

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Sunset Beach, NC(Zone 8a)

Very nice! Mine was a cutting that's been in a small pot for about a year. Guess I should give him a bigger home and something to climb on. I was bad to him so you've encouraged me to get going so he might bloom this summer.

Thanks,
Barbara

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

i have mine in a pot growing up the fence with my passi's

Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

I have an allamanda as well - just planted him about a month ago and he's growing like crazy! We've had rain almost every day so it's to the top of the fence already.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Does anyone know the difference between allamanda and mandevilla?

X

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

mandevilla, vine and climb. it is alamands cousin. i have 3

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.