Need shrub ideas

Sunset Beach, NC(Zone 8a)

Hi everyone!

I don't usually check this forum much, but someone on another forum suggested I check in .....

Looks like many of you are in cooler regions than I am, but I'm hoping you can help. I'm in zone 8a on the hot humid (summers) southern coast of NC. I want to plant about 3-5 plants around my patio to sorta' form a "loose hedge". Doing it to set off the concrete so it doesn't look so bare. It faces north and I get terrible winter winds.

I know there's all the standard hollies and boxwoods, but I was hoping for some ideas that might be a little more unusually or have a tropical influence. I have full sun and I want evergreen - doesn't have to bloom, but that would be a plus. Any ideas??

All help is appreciated so much,
Barbara

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I'm not sure how it would do with the winds, and hopefully someone will chime in here, but Magnolia grandiflora 'Little Gem' can make a "hedge" with blooms. Out west Taxus baccata 'Hicksii' is the "preferred choice".

Hi growin,

I probably should post a picture since my area is not large enough to handle a Little Gem. I have 3 in my backyard off the patio and I love them.

My patio is only 10 x 12 and I really need something that won't get higher than about 4 ft. I'll post a pic later and maybe you'll have another idea.

Thanks!

(Zone 7a)

Dwarf Cavendish Banana stays pretty small from what I understand. Musa acuminita. Or Dwarf Gran Nain Banana.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Euonymus 'Green Spire'

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

There are probably some dwarfer forms of Osmanthus that could stand your conditions.

Consider also maybe Skimmia spp., Mahonia spp., Rhaphiolepis spp., or Viburnum davidii.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Think plumbagos would live where you are? Some of them say 8a some 8b so I'm not sure. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/search.php?q=Plumbago&Search=Search+PlantFiles

Different colors evergreen and repeat bloomers. Bet no one else has them in your neighborhood.

Core, you're on top of it! Nope, no one in the neighborhood has them except me! LOL! But there in front this year on the south side since the ones last year on the north side (near the patio) didn't come back. I planted some last year by a friend's pool and they did come back - I think the warmth of the pool water might have helped in creating a small microclimate.

Everyone has great ideas, but I will take a picture tomorrow and post so that you get the "whole picture". I love the ideas you've all given me.

Viburnam, I can't do the Indian Hawthorne due to the deer in the woods behind me as they seem to love all I see in the neighborhood that get chewed on, but I would love to do them. If I could find a small version of the tea olive that would be nice and, Growin, a type of euonymus might be good. Is there one that doesn't grow so straight up as I'd like something more loosely shaped.

The pictures tomorrow will really help.

I want to tell all of you that I really appreciate the help as this is more help that I've gotten on other threads about other things. You guys are great!

Till tomorrow,
Barbara

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

Chinese Fringeflower, "Loropetalum chinense," has a nice loose form. It's got pretty burgundy color and blooms profusely with bright pink flowers in the spring with another lesser flush in the fall when it cools back down. There are some varieties that don't get very tall but I don't know off hand which ones they are. I have several of the larger variety lining my driveway and I just love them.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Euonymus microphylla variegata is wider and finer texture.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.