Weeds! Weeds! Weeds!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

We've till,we've hoed,we've pulled but the darn weeds are getting the upper hand. Thinking of using pre-emergents next year. Can anyone give me the low down on them? When,how much(we have about 2 acres in veg). Put it out before or after we've broken up the garden?

P

Cottonwood, CA

I used Preen after I tilled my garden and where I used it I have a few weeds, and where I didn't, they are in and on steroids, I swear!

I will never garden without it now!

Hope that helps,
Ellie

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I like preen as well, but do they package it for 2 acres. That would be a heck of alot of jugs.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Preen could get a little expensive on two acres. There's got to be a product out there in 50lb bags for large gardeners.

I hope I'm able to find my melons once their ready to pick.Pulling weeds on tow acres is a BIG job.

P

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Bigred ~ for next year, you might look into planting a winter cover crop. I've not tried it but read that planting the cover crop will improve soil and if, in spring you mow rather than till, it will also provide a mulch to block the weeds. One would just plant thru the mulch rather than till. As I said, no experience with it but it sounds feasible and might be worth trying a small area first. I have been inclined to try a vetch cover crop myself.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

hub's plans on sewing some kind of annual grass crop come fall...I'll let you know what the results are.

P

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.