Anyone want a rhubarb plant???

Dunkirk, NY(Zone 6a)

I planted it about 3 years ago, maybe more, and it just does miserably. I got it on a whim for my mom who told me she never had any luck with it, and our neighbor said the same, and she grew up with it thriving at a different location. It's taking up room in my herb bed and is so unhealthy I can't harvest it, but I don't have the heart to throw it out. Who wants it? First come, first served. If you want to send me something nifty in trade, that would be really great, but not necessary. I'm just tired of watching this poor thing come back up year after year and look miserable and small.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

aaawww.... that's terrible...... If I had the room I would take it

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

I already have two and they are huge!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

my neighbor has a huge one... boy are those strawberry rhubarb pies great... she makes them for us when we have her over for parties.... she really is like one of the family now... we help her with the heavy gardening stuff and we get pie.. good deal in my book

:)

Pipersville, PA(Zone 6b)

Wish you were closer- I'd love it!

Suz

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Ditto for me - I'd love it too if you feel like mailing it to Iowa. What "nifty" things are you looking for? I could send you something back. What sort of things do you like?
Claire

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

LOL... I never had it before moving here... now i can't get enough of it... want to host more parties just to get more pie!!!

Pipersville, PA(Zone 6b)

How costly would it be to ship to PA? (Or do you know anyone who comes here- Bucks County, just north of Philly) I'd love to start some rhubarb here!

Thumbnail by SuzanSkylark
Dunkirk, NY(Zone 6a)

Sorry I've ben MIA guys! I host an annual campout/bike rally/merry band of misfits and geeks that was last weekend and I had to catch up with school both before and after and of course, gardening!

Cmoxon asked first, so as it stands for now, that poor miserable looking plant is IA bound. I think it needs to get out of the ground soon because it looks even worse than before. Rhubarb isn't supposed to be yellow!

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

I am one lucky gardener today! Thanks so much! I can't wait to get that poor rhubarb into some good Iowa compost enriched soil. My neighbors have sheep who are willing to assist with my soil amendment! I am sure it will take off when it gets into the ground here. Doing the happy dance!

Claire

Dunkirk, NY(Zone 6a)

Excellent! I have to drive a few miles to get my soil amendments but boy is it worth it, just oddly not what this rhubarb wants. I'm glad it will have a new life - it's been hanging on so miserably for so long!

Susan, that is a lovely pie. I haven't had strawberry rhubarb in years. Maybe since I'm sending out a plant I'll have good karma and stumble upon a nice piece of pie some time this year. No, wait!! I mean find a piece of pie!! Not trip over it! I'm clumsy enough as it is!

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

For years twenty or thirty I had a single rhubarb plant. That took care of the one or two rhubarb strawberry pies at our house. Then just in a wink it died back and gave it's final gasp. I suspect it was due to drift from my neighbors Round-Up treated brick walkway which was within three feet of the rhubarb. I have been lazy and never replanted it.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Too bad y'all can't get the strawberries and rhubarb to grow together on one plant.... you know, a strawberry-rhubarb plant.

Dunkirk, NY(Zone 6a)

Carrie, I don't know if I could let a plant like that grow into pie!

I shipped it yesterday, after going out and seeing it was down to only one pathetic leaf. Has a lot of roots. Anyway, HOLY WOW Priority rates have gone up! I seriously hope that plant makes it alive & thrives because I just sent it on a luxury cruise!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

A luxury cruise, LOL except it's not funny. Did anything I sent you live to see the summer, Shirley? I guess that should be a Dmail.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

MissFab - let me know if you want me to send you shipping $ when I send you the pulmonaria! The post office is just unstoppable these days.

Dunkirk, NY(Zone 6a)

Nah, I'm not worried about the postage. Win some, lose some on that. LOL I remember when it was something like $3.85 for Priority! Hah! Those were the days, and not that long ago. Can't say I blame them - everything costs more and that's life. I'm looking at the life of this rhubarb as some odd journey it's taking... life transformations and all that, I guess. I just can't purposely kill a plant, and I think it's nifty when plants in our gardens have stories and people behind them. Now you'll have IA rhubarb from some crazy lady in NY! If it lives, that is. We might not know until next year!

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

We'll see how it does. I had some new rhubarb that I bought at an estate sale earlier this year when they were not only selling the contents of the house, but also the contents of the garden. I got a couple of decent sized root balls. They are putting out some green shoots now, so I think they're going to be fine. I'm hoping yours will behave similarly. I will give it TLC. Probably a shot of Plant Start too, to help it with the transplant shock. Seems to work well for me. The same estate sale had some interesting hens and chicks plants, which I bought, some irises (I have no idea of the colours!) and some peonies. The peonies appear to have died, but the hens & chicks are fine, and the irises are, as usual, great transplanters. It was a fun sale. $10 for 3 grocery bags full of plants, plus a bucket full of iris.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Dear MissFabulous,

Breaking up is always hard to do, and I know that you miss me deeply, just like I miss you. But as a rhubarb plant, you knew I needed to grow, to spread my roots, to reach for the sunshine. I know it probably pains you to hear it, but already I have put on six new shoots with brand new leaves emerging. Please don't cry....you know it just breaks my stems when you cry. I just want you to know that you did the right thing, and that I'm very happy now, and that every day as the sun warms my little leaves, I think of you and hope you are well, even though you no longer have my company.

I hope that you have found another plant to take my place, the kind of plant you truly deserve to have in your garden.

Sincerely,
Ron Rhubarb

p.s. Claire says to tell you she hasn't forgotten about your pulmonaria. She has been in a class every night for the past 2 weeks, but will try to mail it to you in the coming week.

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

ROTFLMAO!

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Glad you liked it YankeeCat, I was feeling creative. :-)

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

I LOVE rubarb pie . . . which is probably why I don't have a rubarb plant. I could easily be over 300 pounds. Thank god I didn't choose a career as a pastry chef . . .

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

Geese all the catalogs have the latest and bestus reds. When ordering think about ordering from a firm that is in a one number or two smaller zone number that you. That way if the item was grown on their soil your zone should be as desirable and possibly a touch better for the plant.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.