Epsom Salt

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

What are the suggested application rates for Epsom Salts?

Ada, OK(Zone 7a)

• For tomatoes - 2-3 tablespoons per hole when planting. Add 1 tablespoon per foot height every month at the base of the plant and scratch into the soil.
• For roses and other flowers - ½ cup at the base of the plant. Afterwards, 1 tablespoon per gallon of water, or 1 teaspoon per foot height of plant every two weeks.
• For fruits and vegetables - 1 tablespoon per gallon of water monthly. Or use 1 teaspoon per foot height of plant every two weeks.
• For evergreens, azaleas and rhododendrons - ½ cup at the base of the plant every two weeks. Or use ½ cup per gallon of water, and then watering the roots and leaves every 3-4 weeks.
• For trees - sprinkle dry, or water with 1 tablespoon per gallon in the circle in the tree drip line 3 times per year.

From the back of a bag of Pennington brand Epsom Salts.

Thanks!

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

I will have to keep this information handy. This isn't on the CVS store brand package.

I didn't know that there was an established rate to use. I usually just fling some at the base of my roses when they look like they need some additional help. I have never dissolved it in water either, but I do water in thoroughly.

That's what I do. Just dump a half a cup or so around a plant and water in.

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

I don't use it at all because my soil has too much magnesium and adding more could, probably would, reduce calcium uptake. Magnesium deficiency does occur but it is not all that widespread. See many sources which suggest simply adding Epsom salts when planting tomatoes. Seems to me getting a baseline before adding anything is the prudent thing to do. Here is my seoncd test from UConn a year after doing what the university recommended to improve the soil (still have a year to go to get optimum levels):

Thumbnail by David_Paul

Interesting.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.