cottage garden in Georgia. Is ot possible?

Lilburn, GA

Hi,

I love cottage gardens, with delicate flowers. Things like hardy geraniums, hollyhocks, delphiniums, bleeding hearts and old roses.

Is it possible to grow one here in Georgia? Has anyone had success growing these plants here?

I find that there aren't any beautiful gardens around. Not many flowers, just pine needles and conifers everywhere and some annuals.

i would like something different. Any ideas???

Thank you!

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Spider, find Soulgardenlove. She is sometimes here and also posts on Cottage Gardens Forum. Her gardens look incredible.

Laurel

I also have a cottage garden and I'm sitting in the crazy heat island of Downtown Atlanta. I have a few other friends here who also have cottage gardens (including SoulGardenLove).
You can have one, it just won't be an English Cottage Garden.

A few years ago the South Eastern Flower Show's theme was cottage gardens.

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

Yes, I just saw photos from SoulGardenLove and it's incredible! And yes, you can grow hollyhocks and bleeding hearts in Lilburn.

Evans, GA(Zone 7b)

We have an area in our subdivision where the houses are "Charleston" inspired and many of them have what I would term "cottage gardens" - very lovely. So it is possible - and something I am striving for but have not yet achieved.

Ooh, artgal. can we see pictures?

Evans, GA(Zone 7b)

Lili - I did consider taking some photos of the neighboring gardens - and may do so and will then post.

Lilburn, GA

Hi,

Thank you for your posts. I will try and start one slowly.:o)

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

oh Lillimerci, please tell me the secrets of hollyhocks here! I am very discouraged. I bought some last spring and they did bloom this year but the rust was terribly disfiguring. Plus every bug in the known universe seemed attracted to the plants.

I grew some singles from seed myself this winter/spring and have planted them out for next year. But they now have rust too.

I do so love Hollyhocks - the poster child (to me) of cottage gardens.

Any advice would be so appreciated.

Here are some good information about keeping your Hollyhocks from getting rust, this includes Hibiscus, rose mallow and flowering maples. Due to water restrictions, I only water my plants in the morning, so may be this is why I don't have rust problem.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2362629_prevent-rust-colored-spots-hollyhocks.html

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Thank you for the link about hollyhock rust. Now I know what to do with mine. I only had one plant with it, so out it goes so the others hopefully won't get infected.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.