What's Happening in YOUR neighborhood today #5

Victoria Harbour, ON

Evening, opening a new thread but MUST go back and take note of the rhubbarb recipe..I get so excited about doing the cement rhubbarb leaves that I completely forget about the actual rhubbarb..lol...

Walked the gardens...lordy it's cold out there, just turned the heat on to get the chill out of the house...

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Another little area partially in bloom..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

Betty, I'm not seeing any pictures of your lovely blooms...

Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

Betty those pics are stunning, I wanna come and live at your house and get some of that rhubbarb when its ready..lol

Victoria Harbour, ON

You'd be welcome Sydney but I'd probably have you making rhubbarb leaves instead of pies/tarts/cakes..lol

Another cold one here, hated to get out of bed but I'm up, almost ready to leave for the city..talk when I get there..

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

Betty .. your Blooms are wonderful ..
MG .. I had that problem (not seeing the pics) last year .. found that if I shutdown and rebooted the pics came up .. have no idea why though ..

Thanks so much for the chutney recipe !! I think I'll give it a go .. it'd be a wonderful accompaniement with pork .. even chicken.
I have what is referred to ... Betty'll love this .. Elephant Ear Rhubarb .. the leaves grow incredibly large .. and .. I did have 2 ladies stop by a couple of years ago and ask for some leaves to make stepping stones :-) I got one in thanks .. but .. it met an untimely demise :-(

Looks to be going to be a sunny day nad 22C here today .. followed by 4 days of off and on rain (depending on which site you go to)

I am feeling 'so so' .. I need to go into the city so am monitoring myself carefully !!! I'll tell ya what .. water in the morning is sure as heck NOT as good as coffee !!!! I may zip into the A&P and tell the produce manager about what I suspect I got from the lettuce ... depending on his level of concern he may, or may not, file it in his wee noggin .. who's to say someone else hasn't come in and expressed the same concerns ..

Hope everyone has a splendiferous day .. keep using up that RHUBARB .. your body will thank you (spring tonic)

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

"M" glad you are feeling somewhat better..those upsets can last for days..I almost bought elephant ear bulbs to plant last year and didn't think they'd make our winter, might look for some..did manage to get the castor bean plants, am sure some of their leaves are large...

Some of the rhubbarb leaves take up to 1 1/2 to 2 bags of cement..have had them in the ground for 4 years and none have broken..make great walkways...

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

OMG just hear the newcast..they found a train (believe it was a train) with many bombs on it that needed to be dismantled...now we'll be worried about those of you living in Calgary...

Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

Are castor beans and scarlet runner the same thing?? sorry if this is a silly question, but Im still such a novice at these things

Victoria Harbour, ON

No, the castor bean plant can grow as tall as 6 to 8' and has large leaves..poisonous I'm told but that's ok, no one around really to worry about...my first year so I'm looking forward to seeing their growth ..

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Different sydney480. I think scarlet runner beans are prettier.

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

Castor Beans are a tree-like plant and Scarlet Runner Beans are viney.

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

Here's a link to pictures of my Castor Bean plants in 2006 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/659531/

Victoria Harbour, ON

OMG Ginny, look at those plants..Ruby from Virginia send me some seeds, started them inside and they were starting to form greenery then didn't do a thing, so I went to the nursery and bought a couple plants, one is about 2' and the other 3 or 4' so hope they grow even 1/2 the size yours were..talk about 'big' were they in shaded area or in direct sun?

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

They were in direct sun. The ones in that thread were direct seeded to the garden on the May 24th weekend.

Last year I started them indoors, but after transplanting they just sat there and sulked for most of the year. I thought it was me, but I noticed others in SW Ontario had puny little Castor Beans last year too.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Re that train - if you are talking about what happened in Calgary?
Several bombs were discovered laid on the C-train tracks. 2 had already gone off and the bomb squad removed the others. They were discovered by an employee doing a regular track inspection not sure what time of day., probably before the trains were running.Apparently they were not strong enough to have stopped or damaged the train but could have done personal injury if anybody was standing close by.

At least that was how they told it on the news last night!

This message was edited Jun 18, 2008 11:58 AM

Victoria Harbour, ON

Thanks, kept them in their pot trying to figure out where best to put them..now I know..now the ones that I had started indoors that I put in a pot and thought had died, well I emptied the pot on Friday thinking it was time to plant something else in them and lo and behold there was about an inch of growth, planted them in the ground so I'll see what happens..just planted them anywhere but now that I look at yours I should when I see them break earth move them to a different location..thanks for the site, enjoyed it..wow just think of the cement leaves I can do this summer with these large leaves..

Victoria Harbour, ON

Thanks Fancyvan, not what would anyone hope to accomplish other than marring someone..thanks goodness they were found..

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Scarlet Runners not only LOOK pretty, but are DELICIOUS!

Castor Bean .. well .. I have to say it is one amazingly HUGE plant !!!! I think that the 'Castor bean' is also quite lethal ?
(saw in on CSI) :-) Funny .. is there a 'dwarf species' .. have stuff that looks very similar growing in our ditch !!!

Betty .. the Elephant Ear stepping stone got 'cracked' by DS and his buds .. they had a 'Xmas in July' out here .. the stepping stone didn't like ski boots and poles .. DON'T ask .. it's why I'm gray LoL

Haven't heard a thing about the bombs out west .. good thing they were found before they had a chance to inflict damage of any sort !!

Time to put this ol'bod to bed ..

Take care everyone

~M~

PS .. the Azalea is still without a home :-(

Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

Ginny, looks like you have killer bean plants and a lovely railway to view..perhaps Dave and Moosie will enjoy a ride when they arrive (the Gnomes), without the bombs of course..yikes. Glad to hear that those were diffused and no one was hurt in Calgary.

Okay Marilynn I have to ask, as I had also been to one of those parties as well in Whistler in the summer..crazy people from all around the world...but Im keeping my stories a secret..dont need to go there again..lol

Ive got at least 30 of these scarlet runner beans planted as one of my goals was to attract hummingbirds and butterflies, but this weather has been so wacky here, they are still small with no flowers yet. They are actually just starting to climb now, so hopefully I'll see something this year. I also went to the local farmers market today prior to work as they have local nurseries that attend to buy some bamboo, but they had nothing...so I stopped at Home Depot and bought one there which looks quite healthy and think its called golden bamboo.

My neighbour has had one for years and that thing has survived anything/everything, as I know they dont water or tend to it much. I helped them transplant into a much larger container a few yrs ago and it needs it again, so I know. They dont have the same passion for gardening and I give them stuff all the time, but it always dies, except for that bamboo.

OOPS...just noticed Im writing another mini novel...I type and think to fast I guess...cant sleep as I just got off duty so cheers for now and hope everyone has a great day!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Sydney, I don't have scarlet runners but a DG friends sent me about 3 years ago "Sadie's Beans" which grow a mile a minute and also have beautiful orange flowers...some of the beans are almost 1' long..so lots of seeds...this year I've put them around arbors with the hops, fencing, trellis so hopefully they'll do wonders and I'll have hundreds of seeds to share...am doing the same, trying to attract the hummingbirds and butterflies, guess one must have to sit and watch in order to see them...

Anyone know why we have so many moths this year? Saw about 3 in the house here last night and SIL said she had tons inside...will have to research it...

It was 'soltice moon' last night but the sky was so dark I couldn't see it, was disappointed...

"M" how are you feeling today, did you go to the restaurant and inform them of your thoughts on the lettuce? Sorry about your 'leaf' perhaps you can make another...

Well it's almost time to leave for the city..was a long ride home again last night..another tractor trailer and car collision on the 400N .. just hate taking that highway but really it's the only 'timely' route to take each and every day...

Sun is trying to break through although they are calling for possible rain again..let's have it today and have a sunshine weekend? We are trying to talk boss into letting us work our 4 hrs. tomorrow from home..doubt we'll succeed but it's worth a try..

What do you all have planned for today..hope it's exciting or relaxing or both...

I too Syney am writting a novel this morning..better sign off...

Heya :-)

Sitting outside in the GLORIOUS sun .. looks like it's going to be an AWESOME day in Thunder Bay :-)

I am feeling much better .. always a bonus .. and I did tell the produce manager at A & P about the leaf lettuce and his reply was "OH"? Nuff said on that count ..

You've got me way interested in this 'Scarlet Runner' .. if it's like 'Virginia Creeper' I won't bother .. it covered the west wall of our home for years and getting shed of it was a MONSTROUS task.

Today I have 2 choices .. finish planting my pansies AND plant my Azalea .. OR .. tidy the house and have a friend over for coffee .. I made her favourite pie (strawberry rhubarb) and I need her opinion on my purchase of a new stove .. do I go with Black or not .. . decisions, decisions .. I guess I should make one .. trick is (with me) stickin to it !!

ENJOY!!

~M~

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Dont worry about planting Scarlet Runner Marilyn - it is an annual vine

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

and don't forget several other wonderful uses for rhubarb - it's great with pork and duck (both as a seasoning and much the way you would use applesauce) and makes a greaaat prairie margarita

North Saanich, Canada

Okay, need the recipe for a prairie margarita, jagonjune!!

Me too, Me too .. :-) that sounds SO good .. well .. if it's made like a Strawberry one :-)

So, Scarlet Runner is an ANNUAL .. am planning a trip to the GreenHouse either tomorrow or over the weekend .. it'll be a toss up between that or the Sweet Potato vine :-)

Got the pansies and Dusty Miller planted (a flat of each) !!! I did as the popular vote here on Dave's site suggested .. CRAM A JAM !!! Will take some pics as they get more sturdy ..
AND .. toot your horns and wave yer flags .. my Northern Lights Azalea is planted :-) the whole east garden is FULL of a Poppy that grows around the property .. it's a gorgeous Lavender colour .. have given the seeds to many friends .. but .. this year .. well .. it has proliferated to the MAX .. yet to bloom .. but they are gonna put on a show fer sure !!!

I did both of the things I had on my 'to do list' .. my best bud came for coffee and pie .. then DH helped me fight off the BUGS while the pansies and Azalea got planted .. Betty .. if your friends/relatives who came up here to fish, did NOT have bug spray .. OMG!!!! No wonder the wildlife goes a bit nuts !!!

There ya have it .. sure could use a 'Prarie Margarita' right now :-)

Ciao

~M~

BING!!!! Did a Search on Scarlet Runner .. here's the site if you'd like to have a wee BOO :-)

http://canada-gardens.com/2scarletrunnerbean.html

~M~

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Another warm sunny day here - cant remember when it last rained!
Spent the morning removing wood chips and plastic from around my Shubert Chokecherry and clearing out all the suckers and replacing the wood chips .
And the 2nd leak in my watering system was fixed - same spot - lst guy didnt check it properly so I dont have to pay for 2nd visit) so I watered the yard since the lawn was sprayed yesterday. The configuration of my yard is such that everything gets watered all at once= lawn and flowers! The pee kill spots in the back yard are starting to look good, new grass sprouting but I am keeping it fenced for a couple more weeks to keep the dogs off it.
Still have not finished spreading the compost in the front .

2 weeks to entry deadline for garden competition and 3 weeks to judging weekend.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Good Luck to you, Fancy!!
Didn't you say you'd won before?

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

ok prairie margaritas it is for everyone - at least those of us who imbibe

make rhubarb puree - i use 4quarts loosely chopped rhubarb to 4 cups of sugar cook until soft and pop thru my cousin art

place in blender cubed ice, 2 oz GOOD tequila, 1/2 cup rhubarb puree, 1/2 oz triple sec (or not depending on whether you have it), 1/2 oz or more of simple syrup (1 to 1 sugar syrup) depending on your capacity or lack there of for sour, blend, pour into salted rim margarita glass - enjoy

if consuming seconds or thirds - do not drive, do not operate power tools, do not operate mower, merely smile and have more

North Saanich, Canada

Sounds great. DD loves margaritas, and loves rhubarb, so this is a must try next time she is here. Must get out and find more rhubarb and gt it in the freezer.

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

must actually get out and take pictures before the margaritas. the rhododendrun has never had more bloom, the new rockery with the perennials we bought last year during Ginny's visit is more beautiful every day, the gentiun (that's probably incorrect spelling) you gave us last year Carol are blooming, every perennial i bought in cow town last year during our mini roundup has survived and is thriving (probably likes the Edmonton climate better), the iris' have been fantastic, strawberries are starting to ripen, ah june....

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Those Margaritas sound good. I've used rhubarb juice in a citrus cooler in the summer - really good. the cooler is really good with rum. Those sound equally good.

Citrus Rhubarb Cooler, from Better Homes & Gardens many years ago

4 cups fresh rhubarb, cut up
3/4 cup sugar *
4 cups water
2/3 cup orange juice
3 Tbsp lemon juice (15 ml)
3 cups cold ginger ale

Cook rhubarb with sugar* and water until fruit is very soft - about 15 minutes. Strain. Add orange juice and lemon juice to rhubarb syrup. Cover and chill.

To serve, pour 1/2 cup of rhubarb syrup
over ice cubes in tall glass. Fill prepared glasses with ginger ale.

* Cook using less sugar or substitute sweetener. If using sweetener, add it later to warm liquid unless using Splenda.

Great recipes !!!!
Am sort of shocked to see that the Rhubarb has gone to seed here already .. DH says I must have missed something because it isn't odd .. but .. I'm SURE it is.

The Crows are having a meeting in our driveway this morning, and there are moths from around the 'Mercury Light' being served up instead of Timmies Muffins !!!! The light comes on at dusk, off at dawn and provides a variety of birds with food .. BUT .. the Crows feel they should ?sing? while eating !!!!!

Have little gardening besides watering and dead heading planned for today .. M&Ms has a terrific sale on so I'm headed there first thing. May go by a local Greenhouse for Patio Tomatoes .. I know I want to check out the Sweet Potato Vine.

The weekend is here .. everyone enjoy !!!

Stay safe

~M~

HEY .. it's SUMMER in Thunder Bay !!! :-) The sun is shining and I think our risk of showers has gone south and east of us ..

Have done some gardening, even though I thought I'd have no time, was able to do the CRAM a JAM trying to use up the half flat of Dusty Miller I had left, plus 2 little Coleus.

2 pics then I am outside to enjoy ..

These are some of my pots ...

~M~

The pics are from my cell phone so will look blurry (ish) course .. if you've had a couple of Prairie Margaritas they may look just dandy !! :-)

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Last one ...

Mostly Lavatera .. geraniums and pansies and Daisies ..

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS
Victoria Harbour, ON

Pretty as a picture...cel phone takes a good photo "M" just got home, lots to do, Kathy dropped in yesterday and cut my grass for me again, so now after playing out for a few minutes it's time to put my feet up and relax...

It's summer you know..

SHEESH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! While having dinner we had an INCREDIBLE 15 - 20 minute DELUGE of rain !!! Power almost went off .. and there are a few thunder boomers rolling westerly .. YAHOO .. I don't have to go out to 'water and swat' !!!
By the looks of the Environment Canada site, the systen is headed east ..

Hope everyone takes Betty's cue and has a relaxing evening :-)

~M~

OK!!! I give !!!! Other than ear plugs (which I only use when working nights and I have to day sleep) is there ANY way to get Crows to LEAVE !!! They were out in the driveway cawing up at storm at 5:15am !!!

Our promise of rain overnite was a BUST .. so am heading to the cemetery with my bud to give her a hand with watering all her beds .. actually I'm a 'Look Out' because there's a bear that meanders by every so often .. during the week there are 3 other staff on the property, when she goes in on a weekend, she's alone .. so myself and 'Fearless Lilly the Westie" ride shotgun on the Kubota machine with the water tank on it .. when Lorna stops to water we walk on up to the next bed ..
Also have trimming and grass cutting on the agenda back at home ...

Enjoy your day everyone :-)

~M~

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.