"The Swan"

Whitehall, WI(Zone 4a)

Does anyone have "The Swan" hydrangea growing in zone 4? I really think it has an interesting look! I have some open spots that I would like to put in some Limelight and something else. I had originally planned on Limelight and Endless Summer, but like others here, I am having not-so-good luck with mine. From what I have read, The Swan is hardier than ES with more reliable blooms. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

'The Swan' is a cultivar of H. paniculata (same species as Limelight) so it is hardier and also blooms on new wood, so it will bloom for you without winter protection. In zone 4 I wouldn't grow any of the macrophyllas (like Endless Summer), they're really only hardy to about zone 5. Zones 5-6 have problems with some macrophyllas because of buds freezing off, but their winters won't actually kill the plant, they'll just keep it from blooming...but a zone 4 winter can kill them. So if I were you, I'd stick to cultivars of H. paniculata and H. arborescens, you'll have much better luck with them.

Whitehall, WI(Zone 4a)

Thank You!

Presque Isle, MI(Zone 5a)

I grow The Swan in zone 5 and I know of people that grow it in zone 4. Mine stays in pots in the garden all winter.

Garyt

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.