Favorite Tools for Aerating Soil?

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Hi all - I'm a beginner gardener who got a late start this year. At the very end of May I got a response from my Craigslist plea for a garden spot (I live in an apartment) and got my garden started the first week of June. Of course, I was so excited to get started that I didn't do much of anything to the soil after they tilled it.

So we got a lot of rain and some flooding after I'd put about half the plants in. They seem to be sitting there not growing much, so a fellow gardener suggested I aerate the soil, which is quite compacted. Should I just go in with a hoe and have at it? Or do some of you know of other tools for the job that you'd recommend? (The rows are too close together to get a tiller in there.)

Thanks!

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

A hoe may be all you can use in your situation. Hopefully the flooding is over. I have gotten more rain than I wanted, but not as much as further south of me so things are pretty good now.

Looks like the weather is mostly clear, so we may have seen the end of it (fingers crossed).

happy gardening!

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

They roto-tilled the land and the soil is already compacted? WOW!!!

I should've gotten in there and prepared the soil and all that, but I was in too much of a rush. I'll write it off as a beginner's mistake. I think everything will pull through ok. I got out there this morning and busted some soil with a hoe, which was kind of a good stress release anyway.

This message was edited Jun 23, 2008 8:20 PM

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

Tplant, With non sandy soil, heavy beating rains with sogginess and then sun can compact soil!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.