what to do with iris after blooms

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I went crazy over iris last year and this spring had a wonderful bunch of blooms in many colors. I planted them around my man-made pond and stream. They provided great early green around the pond and then the beautiful flowers. Now that June is mid-way through - what do I do with all this foliage that blocks out my other perennials that can't be seen?

My soil is very rich and everything I've planted, and probably overfed, is like a jungle. I'm so overwhelmed. Yes, the iris are stunning and the leaf is perfect for the stream and pond - but there's a limit to what I want throughout the summer - suggestions?

Kathy

Lebanon, OR

You can trim them or plant annual seeds near them...

D

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Just remember that if you trim them, you reduce their ability to feed themselves for next year's bloom. Be prepared for the potential trade-off of bloom if you trim them now.

Laurie

Lebanon, OR

I have trimmed many of mine down to 8" and have bloom the following year. I do think that if you remove 90% of the foliage then you reduce bloom.

D

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I cut them to 6 inches or so. It seems the growth for the remainder of the summer would allow them to continue to build roots and large tubers as long as there is green to provide water. Leaving the leaf seems like that would take away from the bulb/roots.

k

Tomah, WI

Stupid question- can you cut off the bloom stalks when they are done blooming? Are you all talking about cutting the leaves? I will happily leave all the leaves, but the stalk is quite unsitely.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Yes, go ahead and cut off the spent stalks. That way the plant doesn't have to put any energy into producing seed pods in case they were bee-pollenated. The leaves, however, feed the plant through photosynthesis. Less leaf area, less photosynthesis, less food available to the plant.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Excuse me, I'm lurking over here on iris's...can't seem to find an answer... I have a question, I'm sure you guys can help me. I have iris planted next to the foundation of my home. I am needing to rebuild the dirt for better run off. I don't think it is the right time of year to move iris, but I sure don't want to bury them alive. They are done blooming, the leftover stems have turned brown... I've dug up a few and replanted... I thought about cutting the leaves back, but I thought they fed off them, so I haven't cut any leaves... Can I dig them up leave them lay a few days before I replant? It's such a chore, I planted everything there about 7 years ago, so only annuals or tropicals to be dug in fall will go back in, I sure don't want to re-landscape if it settles that much in the next 7 years.. Thank you so much for any advice -Bonnie

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Especially don't trim the leaves if other plants will be grwoing up and shading the leaves. Dee probably does not have much surrounding hers to cut them back so much. I have mine in mixed borders, so never cut them back unless they are diseased. If you have just an iris bed, cutting back would probably not hurt them as much, but not when other perennials will shade them.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

AuntB,

Yes, you can cut them back some when you dig them. It's difficult to replant them with full foliage because the weight of the foliage will keep tipping the new transplant over. So cut them back just enough to allow them to remain upright when replanted.

Assuming you are talking about bearded irises, yes, you can leave them out of the ground for a few days (or even a few weeks if the rhizomes are large). Just put them out of the weather and out of direct sunlight, keeping them dry and very well ventilated. You can even hang them in onion bags if that's convenient for you.

Laurie

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Oh Laurie, Thank You. They are bearded, I think. I'm learning there are many different kinds of iris. I have a couple scrawny Japanese Iris I moved 20 years ago when we had the basement dug out... by now they are shaded and I should relocate those while I'm in the process. I can leave them well ventilated, dry and out of direct sun till later when I have more time?! That is what I was hoping to hear! Shall I leave all the leaves to turn brown, then? I can lay them out on my covered front porch. I sure appreciate your advice and that it allows me some time, I'm moving more than just iris. Some people around these parts call them Flags, ever heard them called that? Iris sounds so much prettier than flags.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

AuntB,

You can treat the beardeds as I noted above, but you must NOT do that with your Japanese irises. JI's must NEVER be allowed to dry out while out of the ground. Don't dig them until you're ready to replant them right away, and keep them in a bucket of water (enough to cover roots and rhizomes) while moving them from one planting area to another.

The outer leaves on the bearded fans may brown and die while they're out of the ground (depending on how long they're unplanted, but the inner leaves will probably remain mostly green. Before replanting, remove any dead leaves or parts of leaves, and cut back the fans enough to prevent tipping when replanted. The roots may shrivel and die, too, while they're out of the ground. You can trim them back some to make them easier to replant. Some folks cut off all dried up roots before replanting, but I prefer to keep them on the rhizomes to help anchor the plant into the new planting spot until new roots have a chance to grow in.

Do get your irises replanted as soon as you're able. The more time they have to root in before winter, the better for them, and the more likely they'll bloom next spring.

"Flag" is a common term used to refer to different types of irises around the country. Some folks use the term to refer to any iris, some only to historic bearded irises, some to Iris versicolor, Iris virginica, and/or Iris pseudacorus. It just depends on who's using the word. It really has no specific or exclusive meaning relative to irises.

Laurie

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Wow, thanks again. I will get them back in the ground somewhere asap and I'll tend to the Japanese ones immediately. Now, know anything about Alliums? Some ladies over on the brug forum are talking about walking iris's... I've heard the term before, are they bearded iris? Like they appear to "walk" by spreading? Sorry I'm so clueless, but mine have always just been there being pretty and not requiring a lot of maintenance..

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Sorry, but I really don't know much about alliums. I grow a few, but they're on their own in a mass of weeds and quackgrass.

Walking irises are not true irises. They are irids (related to irises). I've never grown them, but as far as I know, they wouldn't be hardy in your zone 5. If you wanted to try them sometime, I believe you'd have to grow them as a houseplant.

Laurie

South Hamilton, MA

People grow them as houseplants here, zones 5 & 6 depending on area.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the info, I will check the PF here at DG. -B

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.