Baby Birds galore!

I'm sure enjoying all the photos and captions. Keep them coming!
It seems we are having a bumper crop of babies here too. In years past I only would see a pair of Virden Verdin and this year there are 3 pair all with babies. Several thrasher babies, one Oriole baby so far but I think they nest later than some, finch and two quial quailfamilies so far. The quail family I saw just yesterday had at least a dozen babies. So stinkin' cute!
Of course, I must not forget Roadrunner babies!

edited because I can't speil or see strate before I have my mornin coffie, LOL!

This message was edited Jun 21, 2008 6:42 AM

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I wonder if we're just taking more notice angele. Of course feeding the birds will help, as well as attract more.

It sounds like you should be starting a thread with all those babies! Would love to see pics of them!

I know I am noticing more this year. Learning much too. I really do think there are more birds this year.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Great pics wallaby!

I am hoping to see some oriole babies soon!

Female Baltimore Oriole

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Male Baltimore Oriole...He just doesn't stick around long at all!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Chipping Sparrow

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Some of the White-breasted Nuthatches let me get really close for pic!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Mr Cardinal

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Leland, NC

I really enjoyed all those photos. I'm originally from England so made me a little homesick. (Been here since 1961 though). Have a cousin who lives in Lincoln -my uncle used to run the Falstaff pub. If I remember correctly, a lot of people cage the jackdaws because they can mimic people very well. My very favorite though, is the English robin. How I miss those little guys. Thanks so much for the memories.

angele, hopefully we are all seeing more birds. After the years of bad practise in using chemicals many people are waking up.

Lol nanny, I hope you see your baby Orioles soon!

WarneC, hi, memories are nice. You might not like being here at the moment, we are in for another summer with the Jetstream hitting us, that means cold, wet and windy. I get so miserable even with one day of dull and cold! I am a transplant from warmer climes! Last winter was often about the same as yesterday at 11C (52F) except we (unusually) had more sun then, lol.

Tha Falstaff is or was near the Stonebow in Lincoln if I remember, so many have been made into trendy wine bars now with the University being here.

Robins are very sweet, I get a lot of joy year round watching birds now. I found an article some time ago about Jackdaws, I believe they are known to fashion a 'tool' to prize food out of branches. Starlings are very good at mimicking, I have heard them do the telephone!

PERTH, Australia

I wondered about your stage name, Wallaby. Were you originally from Down Under?

Lol Margaret, stage name, I hope I put on a good act! Yep, one of the original originals! Well, only so far back but you know what I mean.

I had been wondering if I was going to see a young Great Tit. Today I spotted one with papa feeding it. I got a few shots through the window.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Dad! I want that one!

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Gimme gimme!

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Oooh, a big one!

Thumbnail by wallaby1

After mom turned up and went to maybe feed others, babe came back on it's own looking longingly at the nuts. I was nearer this time.

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Marlton, NJ

Nice ones wallaby! Very cute!

Thanks pelle! It is cute! I love these Great Tits, they have a lot of character.

PERTH, Australia

Gorgeous, Wallaby. The last shot's a beauty.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.