Baby Birds galore!

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
The woodpecker feet intrigue me. Do they have two front and two aft

Yep. Well spotted! The arrangement with two toes forward, two backward, is called zygodactyl feet. A few other bird groups have the same arrangement, notably parrots and cockatoos.

Resin

PERTH, Australia

It's probably because of my contact with various cockatoo and parrot species that I spotted the similarities. Thanks.

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Thanks!

Margaret, they speak with an English accent but have an Aussie twang!

I took lots of pics today, but once again the sun was in the wrong place giving too much glare, disappointing!

Two Blue Tit babies went on the nut silo today, the one on the left got most for a start but the other one got more attention later, it's probably a later hatched bub.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Look at me, I can fly!

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Hmmm, I think I can do this myself!

Thumbnail by wallaby1

This little one seemed to be concerning the parent. It would look carefully to see it had swallowed the small piece of nut, often it stayed in it's beak so the parent had to shove it down.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

See the expression! Nut still in babies beak, this seemed to happen often. It may be the late hatched one as I saw them taking egg shell out the nest 3 days apart.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Oh my gawd, parent's are embarrassing!

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Orchard Park, NY

Your commentaries are hilarious wallaby! Got the biggest kick out of them.

Hope to see the goldfinches if you have an opportunity to get shots of them.

What a cool woodpecker! I've never seen one before.

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Delightful thread Wallably...really enjoyed it and you know how much I love those Tits!!

Hehe, Janet. Your baby with the stuck food reminded me of a song my father would tease me with a long long time ago.

Nobody loves me, everybody hates me
Guess I'll go eat worms
Long and skinny ones go down easy
Short and fat ones get stuck
Yuck!

:-)

PERTH, Australia

Nice song angele.

Wallaby, even more embarrassing is if you receive a deposit you're not aware of, go to do some shopping and discover it on your dark clothing when you return home. (Voice of experience).

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

This is a great thread. Enjoying all the baby pictures.

At 6am this morning, Daddy Redbelly was feeding 2 of his hungry children. I got a picture even though it was not yet light, hope you all can see both kids. One is on the branch above the feeder (and dad), the other is on the tree below the dad.

Thumbnail by cpartschick
PERTH, Australia

All three visible. Good low-light shot. Thanks.

Thanks OP, I get a lot of enjoyment watching them! I hope I get to see (and get pics of) the baby Goldfinches too, they might be more shy but I will certainly be keeping my eyes open!

Rose, thanks, they are entertaining and such sweeties.

angele, lol, some choice! I guess the song was designed to make you see what you really had (in place of skinny or fat worms!).

Funny Margaret, I had a deposit on my back recently but didn't go shopping!

cparts, early rising has it's rewards! Too early for me now though, lol, I get the late arrivals.

Today is not a good day at all, the occasional 2 second glimpse of sun, strongs winds and heavy cloud. I had a third photo shoot yesterday (totalling over 500 pics!), have to get as much in as I can while the sun shines. Downloaded them today, some quite nice baby pics which weren't too bad.

Parent has spotted me, but by now trusts me I think. The baby is the slow (or late) one.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Such a heart warming sight.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Open wide..

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Still hungry? I have another bit...

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Oooh, I'm all full up and sleepy now...

Thumbnail by wallaby1

A few minutes later, the little one was wondering if it hadn't made a mistake and no sight of parent!

I know this is where the food comes from...

Thumbnail by wallaby1

But how do they get it out!

Thumbnail by wallaby1

This is all so confusing ... I guess I will have to wait but what if they don't feed me...

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

I love ALL the babies!!!

Marlton, NJ

Very cute wallaby!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

You are the leader of the baby birds!

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Arctic Tern feeding chicks.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

I'm hungry mama!

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Dinner -- on the wings of an Angel.

This message was edited Jun 18, 2008 11:36 PM

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

The mound of moss is the nest of an American Dipper. The parents feed the chicks through the hole, behind the bird. They never enter the nest, but the transfer is so fast, I have never seen the chicks.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

The nest is on the vertical front, of the Ship Creek dam, at the Elmendorf State Fish Hatchery. It is between the main water flow and a fish ladder.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
PERTH, Australia

Great shots, Wallaby and Grasmussen. Funny with those deposits, Wallaby, I have had great trouble trying to cash them.

Thanks all, I had a post typed out last night and just had a pic to put in, then the electricity went off briefly! Strong winds must have blown cables together.

I'm sure I had a baby Jackdaw on the 'lawn' last night, it was very dull but I got some good pics which I will post later, the sun is shining now so got to get more pics, lol.

Nice shots Grasmussen, the Arctic Tern is a striking bird! Lovely nest the A. Dipper has, nice spot for it too!

This is what I think to be the baby Jackdaw, it came begging to the adult which flew off with the food to the nest! It had to feed itself.

Thumbnail by wallaby1
PERTH, Australia

It's gorgeous. Are they eyes of the juveniles white?

I think the eyes are whitish, I found a pic of a very young one but this one must be a first hatched juvenile.

I just downloaded a heap more pics, need to go out again!

This Jackdaw was cowering at a Blackbird which didn't like it's presence, lol, a mature bird wouldn't have done that. Blackbirds are territorial, and I had put out the soaked muesli which the Jackdaws were taking!

Blackbird trying to look big, the Jackdaw just jumped!

Thumbnail by wallaby1
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

I am enjoying this thread Wallably and Gary! Keep 'em coming!

Marlton, NJ

Love the Terns Gary!

Those Jackdaws are very handsome wallaby!

Yep pelle, they are!

Now this will make you all laugh!

This is the mouthful the parent took to the nest after eating some, then filling it's gullet and beak full.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

It dropped some but picked it up again, it wanted as much as it could carry!

Thumbnail by wallaby1

This is where the young Jackdaw comes in, I thought at first it was another trying to steal the food but it was just asking for food, lol, after seeing small birds flapping their wings this comes as a shock! Of course it got none of that!

Thumbnail by wallaby1

This is the same shot as I posted first, but it follows the last one, disappointment!

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.