Viburnum pollination confusion

Russell, KY(Zone 6b)

OK- so I fell in love with some Viburnum photos and bought a few, never bothering to learn about the pollination issues. I found out just after ordering a Blue Muffin, and now I am sitting here horrified that I haven't anything that will pollinate it. To make matters worse- I haven't room for that many more plants of this size.

So here is what I have:

3) V. opulus 'Park Harvest'
3) V. trilobum Redwing (J.N. Select'
1) V. 'Fugitive' (japonicum x dilatatum) this one doesn't fruit, but it can still pollinate, right?
1) V. dentatum 'Christom' (Blue Muffin)

I am hoping someone can name me an additional cultivar or two that would take care of all my pollinating needs?
I am 6b Eastern Kentucky on the edge of woodlands. I have full sun and part sun available.
What should I purchase?

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

You need to "russell" up another Viburnum clone to go with your 'Fugitive', and an arrowwood amour for your Blue Muffin®. 'Park Harvest' and Redwing™ should partner nicely.

I've never heard of 'Fugitive'. Do you know its origin? As a Viburnum japonicum x Viburnum dilatatum hybrid, it ought to work quite well with any Viburnum dilatatum selection that it overlaps in bloom time with, or a cross of similar parentage like V. dilatatum x V. lobophyllum 'Oneida', or V. japonicum x V. dilatatum 'Chippewa', or V. lobophyllum x V. japonicum 'Huron' (all US National Arboretum introductions).

Blue Muffin® is one of the earlier arrowwoods to bloom, so you ought to look for one of these to pair with it: Little Joe™, Red Feather™, Chicago Lustre®, Cardinal™, Crimson Tide™, or 'Perle Bleu.

Or stroll by the Valley sometime when headed west...

Russell, KY(Zone 6b)

Quoting:
I've never heard of 'Fugitive'. Do you know its origin?

I purchased it from Rare Find Nursery, who list it as an exclusive introduction- that's all I know. I chose it purely because it gets so large.
http://www.rarefindnursery.com/index.cfm/action/productdetail/product_id/4058.htm

Thanks for the recommendations. I shall study up on them and make my choices.

Sure looks a lot like my 'Chippewa'.

With their evasive description, of finding it in a remote test plot in Kennett Square PA (read: Longwood Gardens) and rumored to be sourced out of Washington (read: US National Arboretum), what do you think? It is either 'Chippewa' that lost its label or records, or a seedling sibling.

Oftentimes, big arboreta get to be the test sites of plants that are under evaluation by the USNA, and when something is determined to worthy, it gets named and released. Everything else is supposed to be kept or destroyed (not gone 'Fugitive' as suggested at Rare Find), or the host site may lose its privileges as a testing center.

In any event, it ought to be a nifty one to watch. Never believe the "no fruit" designation; all that means is they haven't seen any yet, and probably only because they haven't an appropriate pollinating partner.

Let us know if you find what you're after - I might be able to help if you don't.

Russell, KY(Zone 6b)

I found a Red Feather and a Chippewa- but if "Fugitive" is Chippewa (or even close) then I don't need that one, right? I need Oneida or Huron? It's mainly the Blue Muffin I was concerned about anyway- not the Fugitive so much.
I hate to order just two plants, so I guess I will be forced to flesh out the order with another load of things I don't need :)
Forest Farms is good, right? They are awfully far away. If you know of anywhere closer let me know.

Your ability to surmise the story behind Fugitive is very helpful. As it grows I'll add it to Plantfiles- it's just a fledgeling 18 inches now, and something munched on it a bit at that.

Thank you!!

Forest Farms is good - and far.

Classic Viburnums is half as far - Nebraska. They grow some fine viburnums, though, and they are salt-of-the-earth folks.

Viburnum Valley is right down the highway - but, then, you know that.

Russell, KY(Zone 6b)

If I could get away and come visit you believe me, I would- unfortunately I have an invalid mother in law in a bedroom upstairs and am lucky to be able to be gone 20 minutes for groceries.
I will check out Classic- we've got a coolish spell upon us and it might be safe to ship this late in the season.

And talk about silver linings- I have an ancient old oak that I believe has been struggling for years (we've only lived here one year) that has to come down next week. That will open up a sizeable portion of real estate in a part shade area. I hate to see these old ones go but a huge branch came down last weekend and scared the bejeebus out of me.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.