Thumbnail by ClematisGuru
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Beautiful combo!

Delaware, OH

more combos
durandi and betty corning

Delaware, OH

thanks lily. my photos sometimes leave something to be desired, so glad you could see the beauty.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

niobe, (I love the name btw), practice practice. Shot away! The more we take photos, the better they become. ^_^
I love all the clematis, haven't had one that I'd turn away. lol. But planting them with other perennials take some creativity. I will stick around and enjoy yours. :-)

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Lovely combos!

Delaware, OH

here is nice combination. price charles and villa de lyon. it is very full display and will bloom for a couple of months in my zone.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I love Prince Charles with Ville de Lyon. It's wonderful how they both have more color on the edges of the petals and fade out in the middle. Great combination! My Ville De Lyon decided not to bloom this year and I don't know why. :-(

Liverpool, NY(Zone 5a)

Niobe, your combos are spectacular. Can't get enough clematis, and the way you display them is breathtaking. Keep those photos coming. :)

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

Hmmm, my 9 yo DS is becoming obsessed with wanting clematis, and I'm struggling to find a place to put one for him. My other DS, who is 6, is obsessed with roses. Every time we wander through a garden center (which is every time we get within driving distance of one LOL) one is pulling me toward the clematis, while the other is pulling me toward the roses.

I keep trying to convince DH that we need to get some kind of archway or trellis or something, so we can make them both happy, but so far no go. LOL Seems like the ideal solution to me--the rose and the clematis can climb together!

Should have asked for a arched trellis for Mother's Day instead of a compost bin, I guess.

Angie

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Bookerc1, Roses and Clematis combo is proven to work well for me. Here is an example.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=4940324

Delaware, OH

here is violet elizabeth along with blue angel (blekity anoil)

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

Beautiful combinations and always in awe of your gardens! I just love the Delphinium but they don't like to come back here. You are lucky and those two look lovely together.

Delaware, OH

thanks! i am just north of columbus ohio in delaware if you are ever in the area and want to see the gardens!
i have had good luck with those pacific blue delphinium...this is third or 4th year with these, which i grew from seed, blooming in the same area. there aren't many, i need to scatter some new seed for future.
photo is alba luxurians growing thru a moonlight hydrangea.
have a green green day.

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

Wow, Niobe, always in awe of your combinations. When you grow them with hydrangea, do you put a separate support of some sort behind or beside the hydrangea for the clematis to climb, or do you send it straight up the hydrangea itself? I did plant 3 hydrangea this year, so have definite potential for some combinations there. Are there certain types of clematis that are best growing with a hydrangea, so they don't damage or weigh it down?

Delaware, OH

i put them in front of or to the side of the hydrangea. i have been lucky with the combo. attached is a spring photo from this year of guernsey cream on a large trunk of a dead tree with the clematis on it. i neglect the hydrangea a little so it doesn't outpace the clematis. this may not be viable in warmer zones, but works well here in zone 5 b for me.

thanks for the comments!

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

I'm in 5a, so should be pretty comparable. You have given me so many ideas! Thanks for inspiring me! Now, if I follow the 3 year rule, I should have some nice pics to post in 2011. . .

Delaware, OH

it is a leap in faith to become obsessed with clematis and then, the first few years, to nurse the plants along....but hang in there, every year gets better and better, i didn't take photos for a looong time, so i know what you mean.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Niobe...they are all just so beautiful!!..I had bought a "Violet Elizabeth" from an online vendor ...but she didn't make it..stunning!!..How many must you have gffffffff....Jeanne

Delaware, OH

i am up over 200 varieties. i try and collect as manys species as possible, but they are hard to get. i added flammula this year and pamela recta also viorna and crispa.
...added about 30 hybrids large lowered or vitacella this year, but last year i halted adding and really tried to get the plants established and off the ground. i don't want the plants to look unheathy and uncared for. so i took a collecting hiatis and started back this year.

my first year was 2000 i think. many of those didn't make it, we have learned by trial i think.
also if i have struggled with a type i am learning to give up on it. as mary toomey says" if it doesn't pay the rent sometimes you have to just accept that and let it RIP"
after a dew years , as you all know, the joy is immense in seeing the maturity and floriferous beauty of these magnificant plants.

Delaware, OH

here is the dreams come true rose alone , no clematis

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Beautiful Rose! Which Clematis companion will you add to it?

Delaware, OH

the rose is planted behind spirea, in two places, each to the inside of arches. each arch has a jackmanii clematis on it on the inside, but so far they do not meet and mingle. over time as the rose gets bigger there should be a co mingling like i have with the jackmanii and the "social climber " rose.
i couldn't resist the rose and it is shockingly beautiful...can't wait till it all grows together. there is also a general sikorski
nearby to come to the party when it takes off!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.