Gardens or Nurseries in or on way to Savannah?

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi,

I have an acting gig this weekend in Savannah and wondered if there were any gardening related places I should visit while I'm there. I'm also open to stopping at some places on the drive back home to Atlanta on Monday. Ideas would be greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks!
Danita

Evans, GA(Zone 7b)

What route are you taking?

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Danita, "break a leg" (okay?). Great that you have a gig in such a cool town. I generally drive to Macon, from Atlanta and then East to Savannah and down to Atlantic Beach a few times a year. The route from Macon to Savannah (I 16?) is pretty much a void of farm fields. Peanuts for sure and cotton. I don't know of any nurseries. You'll be hard put to find a gas station so make sure you're tanked up before you cross over.

Best,
Laurel

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi Artgal and Laurel,

Yes Laurel, that will be the route I take as well. I'd be willing to adjust my route or go out of my way on the trip home for an interesting place though. Thanks for the "break a leg" and especially for the tip about the gas station! :)

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Yes that's I 16 and your right about nothing to really see on the way to Sav.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

You might want to give this a try. http://www.trustedtours.com/store/Savannah-Gates-and-Gardens-Walk-C325.aspx

I've taken a few tours in downtown but they are only certian times of the year. Some full on formal gardens. I went to a wedding at the davenport house which had a really nice garden and it's also a museum. http://www.davenporthousemuseum.org/

There are some other good events and places to go but they're not open all the time. Bamboo farm is outside of Sav. and interesting. Big collection of bamboo and plams etc. http://www.ugaextension.com/bamboo/
Don't know if you would be interested in that but there's the link.

Let me think about it and I'll see what else is open durning the summer season.

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

I'm sure Savannah would have a nice collection of tropical plants. May be some tropical hibiscus and SC is not too far from you, they have lots of crinum lily.

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

I, too, am looking for nurseries in Macon, GA or Tampa, FL. Any recommendation is appreciated.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I'm basicly in Savannah right over the border in SC and true tropicals don't do well here. I have no problem growing tropical hibiscus but they do die off most years and come back in the spring. I'm always right on the edge of tropical plants, it's a constant trial and error thing with me. How close you are to the water is very important too. Downtown SAV is warmer than where I live by just a few degrees durning a cold spell but it makes a big difference. 30 degrees compared to 28 can make the difference between dead and living. LOL.

One thing which I think helps is our soil temps never go under 50. More like a 55 minium so whatever you're growing always has warm enough roots.

Giant crinum are not a problem. In fact giant plants that can take some frost is a problem. Everything from colder cilmates grows like crazy here if it can take the heat. Trees like maples, gums, wax myrtles grow like weeds. Actually they are weeds in my yard. Right now the crepe myrtles are in their prime. They are everywhere and grow like weeds too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.