Coleus Chatters thru June 22nd...

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Good Morning to Everyone! I do hope that today and this week will be great for everyone! We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/860804/

This weekend was one crazy and busy time around here and I can't wake up this morning! I feel like I could go back to bed and sleep another 4 or 5 hours. LOL Chase leaves today for Michigan for the week so I'll have Xman duty this week. I need some serious energy... hopefully this song will do the trick. LOL

Left a good job in the city,
Workin' for The Man ev'ry night and day,
And I never lost one minute of sleepin',
Worryin' 'bout the way things might have been.

Big wheel keep on turnin',
Proud Mary keep on burnin',
Rollin', rollin', rollin' on the river.

Cleaned a lot of plates in Memphis,
Pumped a lot of 'pane down in New Orleans,
But I never saw the good side of the city,
'Til I hitched a ride on a river boat queen.

If you come down to the river,
Bet you gonna find some people who live.
You don't have to worry 'cause you have no money,
People on the river are happy to give.

Fire Dragon (in full sun) and Sangria in the background

Thumbnail by Brinda
Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

good morning my coleus loving friends

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi Guys. All is welllllll.....

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

[quote] If you come down to the river,
Bet you gonna find some people who live.
You don't have to worry 'cause you have no money,
People on the river are happy to give. [unquote]

well now that we all have riverfront property and half of us have no flood insurance because we do not live in a flood plain... hmm.. Brinda you give us hope.. seems to your song we ARE going to be happier people... lol

ok.. don't mean to make light of a very serious situation.. and we did make out ok... flooding all around us here in Illinois, but we are fairly dry.. but we must smile and move on and help our neighbors as best we can...

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Howdy all!
I want to start out with the variation of Watermelon These came out of a 51 plug tray I'won' on eBay. They showed difference even in that tray and I planted them accordingly.
I got that melody immediately Brinda, and Fire Dragon is the one to have in the sun.
Have a delicious day and week.

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Newport News, VA(Zone 11)

Fran, glad you and yours made out ok!

Sidney, I have all those variations too in my flat. Some are almost yellow like Swiss Sunhine and some are dark dark like Waffles.I thought sun exposure was the culprit but they are now all in the same light and they are retaining their different coloring. I think it makes for an interesting array. Am curious to see how they mature.

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi All!

Spent the morning outside working; laid down about 13 more 16 inch pavers; before long I won't have much grass in the back yard. Also had to water everything. Rain seems to be a thing of the past and we're in the 90's now so things can't go more than a day without water. I planted a few coleus, moved a couple of plants around and was completely drenched with sweat by the time I came in. Of course, I got to where I was using the hose and wetting my hair and back of my neck while outside. Sure felt good and who cares if the clothes were wet with sweat or hose water. The cool water felt so good.

That's interesting to see how many variations of Watermelon there can be. I think this type of things also contributes to the naming or renaming of coleus.

Anyone ever seen Brouhaha? And is it the same as Brooklyn Horror?

Hope everyone is doing well!

Patty

Yes Patty, a good cold hose is great.
Watermelon is the same as Miacanopy.
I thought Lavender Lace was too, but got some from Rosy Dawn and although the patterning is similar, the colors are different.
I wonder if one isin't the sport of another.
;)

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

I bought Lavender Lace from RD also. When I first unpacked and potted it up, it was real dark and somewhat ugly. It's in the ground now in part shade; it may get a little late afternoon sun and I noticed today that it was really starting to get pretty. It's like Watermelon in purple instead of red.

Exactly!!!
;)

Good Morning All!
Its a beautiful day in the neighborhood and the daiseys are blooming! Enjoy!

Thumbnail by jadajoy
Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

Morning folks, it may get cool here today instead of 98 degrees. Hope all are well.

((((hugs))))

Lavina

I hope so Lavina.
93 high and dry here. Gonna do a rain dance.
;)
Edited to add this Fuzzy Picture was the wrong one. LOL

This message was edited Jun 19, 2008 11:07 AM

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Oh Sidney!!!! Something is wrong with your raindance!!! Could you turn the other direction or something??? We're getting blasted with rain and I'm starting to get tired of it. LOL I'm not sure how much we've had so far today but I'm betting it's close to 3".

Have a beautiful day everyone...

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

Good Morning! I hope that today is perfect for ya'll to be playing in the garden.

Thats just not FAIR! My Watermelon is all the same.. all 51 plants of them...Some are now in sun and shade. And they still look the same....I want variety too! (ok I'm done pouting now)

I am off to play in the yard,,.. Have a great day!

Hugs and Kisses to everyone, Pheadra

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Sydney face Texas and continue that raindance my way--we haven't had rain in forever and I'm tired of sweating when watering almost every day.

Hello everybody!!

It's another scorcher. Worked hard in the garden yesterday and was lights out at 9:30 last night. Needless to say, I'm taking it easy today and catching up on my computer stuff.

Hope everyone has a glorious blooming day . . . .

Patty

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Good Grief Sidney....ARE YOU STILL DANCIN?

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Evidently

Thumbnail by UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

This was our sky this afternoon.... about the time Sidney turned toward Beaumont.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Next thing I knew, the banana trees were waving in the breeze and the wind chimes sounded like a fire drill!

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

It's still sprinkling out there now, even as I type. I moved all of the plants out from under the porch so I wouldn't have to water tomorrow. ^_^

This photo was my driveway this afternoon

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Now be quite ladies.....I'm trying to sleep!!!!!

See you all in the am.....if you're good!!!

Hap

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

Oh Sidney I need rain too.
This morning the smoke smell is so bad one of my dogs would not stay in the yard. I now even feel as if my clothes smell of smoke and peoples fire arlarms are going off. Now I know what the California people experience when there are wild fires. We are 80 miles away from them and the fall out/smoke,smell is bad bad bad.
I want rain to clean the air and help my plants.

Lavina

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Janet

Send some of that rain my way. Saw in another thread where RJ posted that he was getting rain too. I want some!!!!!!!! Got a sprinkler going right now. DH said he checked the weather and it doesn't look like there's even a chance for rain in the next week or so. Boo Hoo . . . .

Sydney have you stopped your rain dance?

Is everyone staying cool? What's everyone's temps like? We'll be in the hot, humid 90's today. I have a mammogram scheduled for 10 a.m. Now doesn't that sound like fun??? NOT!!!

Anybody seen dale lately or has his subscription already run out????? Sure would be nice to have some great pictures.

Hey Joy maybe you can take you camera when you go to Atlock and snap some pictures for us to see.

Have a great day my coleus friends.

Patty

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

For the last 2 afternoons, the heaven has blessed the ground with a wonderful bath. Everyone is still up and smiling this am. (Me too)

Gotta get out while it's still cool, (80) and before we get another shower.

TTL

Hap

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

G'Morning everyone!

Just got back from my morning walk with Grace. There was a slight breeze which kept me from sweating. The yards along the way looked lovely after yesterday's showers.

Patty, I'm thinking positive thoughts for you and your mammogram. They're no fun, but having breast cancer run in our family, I do them every year. We have a mobile unit that comes around and does them for free. The organization is called the Gift of Life and is put on by the UTMB of Galveston. Connie and I both lucked into that one. We try to schedule our appointments for the same day, same time frame, so we can go shopping afterwards. :-)

Speaking of shopping. I have to tell you all what happened yesterday afternoon. Connie was working in Sour Lake. She called to ask if I wanted to meet her at Al Cook's Nursery when she was ready to leave. That's the only place around that sells bales of Sphagnum Moss and she knew I needed some. It's about midway between Sour Lake and my house. So we met up there. I was looking at the gorgeous plants they have (it's a landscaping business as well). They have several "open" greenhouses with a multitude of tables set up with shade cloths over them. So many beautiful plants in each of the houses. The staff there keeps to themselves so it's easy to just wander around admiring the plants.

Something caught my eye. Some "scissor something" with really cool looking leaves. I was pointing it out to Connie. I reached over to touch the leaves and my thumb brushed a snake! (I'm getting shivers just writing about it!) The snake slithered out of the pot and down across the table between the plants. It was just a garter snake, but it was about 15 inches long and scared the bajesus out of me. Of all the plants I could have reached out to touch, I pick the one with a snake in it! I'm proud of the fact that I didn't scream. My toes curled up in my shoes though and I kept my hands in my pockets after that!

Jose was watering close by and saw me jump back. He walked over to see what had happened. We told him about the snake and he just laughed. I can't help but wonder how many times HE'S come upon a snake like that.

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the positive thoughts Janet. I have yearly mammo's too cause my mom died of breast cancer at the age of 49; that was back in 1969 before they had the knowledge they have now. This is just my yearly one, and both me and my two sisters have had yearly ones since we were in our 30's. I don't mind em really; I just hate the coldl metal and being smushed but its better than the alternative.

I hate snakes even little garter snakes which is what I usually see in my gardens. My hubbie keeps wanting to move out in the country but I keep telling him "No". The main reason is my fear of rattlesnakes which are so predominant in this area this time of year. THe first time I would go to garden and see a rattlesnake would probably take care of my gardening addiction. My sister has already lost a weimer to a rattlesnake bite. She lives on a farm about 15 minutes from me.

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

Good Morning! today is turning out to be a wonderful day, Please take time to stop and pinch the Coleus.

Sidney, Could you turn alittle in this directon while doiing that rain dance, We sure do need it.

Brinda, How are the rib muscles, Moving alittle better I hope.

Lavina, I know how bad a distance smoke can get, Last year when Ga. was on fire it was alomst 2 hours away and we would get some of the drift on windy days. Stay indoors with the windows closed.

Janet, EWW, I would have pulled a Kell...(screamed and wet my pants) lol

Ted, Still sending thoughts and prayers your way.

Have a great day, I have to clean house and do laundry, so I know I won't..:{

The young man that's possibly going to be a border helped by installing 3 new sprinklers, reworked another 10 and installed 10 risers where there had been pop-ups. I'm installing shrub sprays and have the front bed set on 3 min 8 times a day. I am so glad we screwed the heads on when we originally put the system in. Even I can dig up this sand and replace them now that I've been trained.
I can finally plant with-out fear of "Planticide".
;)

This message was edited Jun 19, 2008 11:09 AM

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

A "Young Man", Sugar......... tell us more!!

Sugar, you didnt waste any time putting him to work :_) Hey, get it while the gettings good! ( work and chores I mean)

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Quoting:
( work and chores I mean)

LOL Please Sidney... tell all!

Pheadra, I'm much better. Just a bit sore but doing fine. How are you? And how is your son? Where is he now?

Janet, I too would have peed my pants had I touched a snake. I don't care... I just don't like them at all. And so far we've had two in the pool and a big one out in the front yard this year. Blahhhhhh.... nasty!

Lavina, good to see you! Are you ready to retire again? Take care and you really should keep doors & windows closed and not breath all that smoke!

Hi everyone!!!! Just popping in to say hello and see what is going on. I've spent most of my day today trying to fix what all the rain did yesterday. Sidney... you sure know how to dance, don't cha?

I had about a half of a large bag of MiracleGro in my wheel barrel and it's just a mess. I've been dipping out cups of water mixed with soil. And I'm cheap, so I've been just dumping into pots and waiting for it all to drain.

News said we got a bit over 3" but I'm betting we got much more than that. And honestly, I'm tired of it. It would be wonderful to have some nice rains, even daily... but getting drenched with that much rain in such a short amount of time really makes a mess of things. And I'm such a dummy... I had potted up some stuff on Sunday and stuck them up against the house to sit in the shade for a few days. Now that was dumb on my part as all that water coming off the house with such force tore all of them up. Oh well... I knew better and I still know better... one day I will learn. LOL

I got a perm yesterday and I'm smelling a bit skunky today and I can't help but think of Kell!!! LOL Poor Allan wouldn't even get close to me last night.

On my way back outside! TaTa!

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Where's Kell lately????

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Kell is MIA! Hopefully she didn't try to take pics again at a federal building or even worse, hopefully the skunk didn't get back in the house. Ack! Kelley???? Where are you?

G'Mornin everyone!!!! I've been out walking around sipping my coffee and admiring all the hard work that I've done so far. And thinking of all the hard work that I still have left to do. Every year it just seems to get more & more or I get slower & slower... I think it might be both. LOL

I spent most of my day yesterday working on the tropical garden and I thought I was almost done when I realized that I've run out of containers. Shoot, now I need to make another run to Statuary World and pray that they got a shipment in. They have the best price on containers of anyone around here but I'm thinking with the price of gas that the next shipment will be much higher.

Sidney?

I hope all is well with everyone and that you have a spectacular day!

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Good morning everyone!

I think Kell is probably shopping.. OR pretending to do domestic chores so she can hijack another $50. bucks for coleus.. LOL I miss her already. LOL

I decided to plant again yesterday... I don't know why it seems easier to sit and stare at unplanted pots than just get in there and stick em in the ground! I'm on a mission to empty pots and bags of caladium bulbs.

My DG friend Donna is due back from her trip today.. I'm thrilled about that too.

If anyone has tips for getting good pics of coleus.. I'm open to suggestions... they are actually hard to photo!!!

Here is a wine barrel I planted a couple of weeks ago.. Pink Chaos is the only coleus in there as of yet..

Thumbnail by ZZsBabiez

That's pretty Joyce.
And I must apologize for my last fuzzy picture post. I reckon I hit the wrong button.
Have you ever been wanting to page scroll up or down and actually be changing answers.
The help is temporarily gone.
However I think I can do it myself.
It was great to have the one afternoon of energy and determination.
One more day and my yard would have been complete.
I'm trying to talk Joyce into visiting me. I would have to have it done by the time she got here. It would be great inspiration.
I'm moving my donkey in to my living room today.
Sidney

Oh Sidney
You know you would have to have that place in great coleus order or I'd talk about you bad girl :-) LOL

Seriously, I need to put the car on the wide open road to blow out the carbureator, as they say, and visiting you would be a treat no matter what your yard looks like. Keep talking, I might just surprise you :-)

Donkey??? Do I have to share a room with him?

Brinda..thats the fun part of gardening......procrastination:-)

Joyce

zz...did you get my dmail?

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

I'm trying to figure the donkey part out too... LOL So many different things come to mind!

ZZ, I think that coleus are one of the most difficult to photograph. For me it needs to be an overcast day or late evening and many times I can't get a good pic. The one coleus that just never seems to photo good is Zesty Zuchinni and it's one of my most favorites. I think it's a coleus one must grow to appreciate since the pics are so awful.

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Aakkkk, I missed coming here lately and am doing a bit of catching up!
Life has been hectic, my job went from 25 to 5 hours a week, thereby cutting into my plant mula, oh woe is me, I can't keep up with Kell now! (yeah, where is she?!) Bills come first, drat!
Daughter and family (SIL and 2 grandkids) moved back into our house end of Feb. so crowded around here and a bit stressed for me! (ya think?!) Son got married beginning of May, that's one stress over with at least.
And I only bought 5 coleus so far!!! Maybe I'll have to go check for some cheapies at Target, they're usually pretty good.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Hi Sue,

Welcome back to the most colorful forum on Dave's.

It's hot here! Man oh Man it's hot! I keep going out back to try and get something done, and end up piddling in the shade because it's just too hot and humid to be out in the sunshine. I've come back in 4-5 times with dripping wet hair. I feel like I'm melting out there. Connie's pool sure sounds good about now.

Today I painted the waybigo bird cage for the side yard and also filled up my topiary cat with moss and soil. Haven't planted up either of them yet. I'm thinking to put DP's coleus in the cat and maybe a butterfly ginger in the bird cage (since I have no Bird of Paradise to put in there). I need to check the plant files on the BF Ginger to see if it can handle mostly afternoon sun. Will plant them up this evening hopefully, when it gets cooler.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.