Advice for a fried Loquat??

Myrtle Beach, SC(Zone 8b)

I transplanted a Loquat about 3 weeks ago. It's been really hot and humid here for the past 2 weeks. I have watered it- not too much and now some of the leaves are turning brown and are crispy. Any advise??

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Yikes - sounds like you've lost the plant. Anytime I've seen them do that in containers - they're gone. If it's been hot & humid I would'a soaked the ground and misted the leaves regularily. If it's only 3 weeks maybe you can return the plant at the nursery.

I transplanted it into the ground. It was actually a very healthy looking one until I got hold of it!!

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

3 weeks is kinda a short time for it to turn around so fast. You never know what happened to it at the nursery before you got it. It really sounds like it missed watering for a bit too long.

Here's a pic:

Thumbnail by tcinmb

Another:

Thumbnail by tcinmb

One more:

Thumbnail by tcinmb
Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Well, not all of the leaves are brown. I'd mist it in the evening and the mornings. It is definitely in shock and the leaves are flagged. It might come back but if I were you, I'd call the nursery just to ask so that if you do take it back, atleast you can say you called. I'd also make sure you give it a deep watering. I always plant with a moat so that water seeps down to the root area. There might be a completely dry spot in the root ball that is not getting any water.

Thanks so much for advise. It looked a little better today after the rain we had yesterday.

Thanks again!!

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

np. I'd still build that moat around the base of the plant and fill it a few times with water. I think you should be ok if you keep it well watered for the next bit.

I will certainly give it a try!!

growin--would you advise the moat thing aroung all newly planted trees and shrubs??

Sunset Beach, NC(Zone 8a)

Took a look at the pictures. Yep, I think it went without water too long, but you can bring it back. The moat idea is good to hold the water. The way it is right now, I don't think watering everyday for about a week would hurt it. Then go to every couple of days for about a week. By then it should perk up. Don't apply any fertilizer right now as it might cause even more stress.

Even when it's back on its feet, don't be surprised when all those fried leaves drop - it's ok. Also, the old leaves tend to turn yellow and drop as new growth is coming out even on a mature healthy loquat.

Oh, BTW, be sure to always plant (most always) new shrubs and trees higher than your original soil line to assist in good drainage. Don't know where you live in MB, but up here my soil is such junk I have to add soil additive to assit in the drainage. When you plant above the soil line you can then shape the dirt up around the plant - kinda like building a flat sand castle or frosting a cake. I always plant at least an inch or 2 above - particularly for azaleas and others. I just planted a windmill that I raised about 3 1/2 inches above due to where I planted it.

Where do you live in MB?

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I think BDunn covered it. I just never plant above the surrounding soil-line as eventually exposed roots will stress the plant. The moat is a great way to properly water a plant in. The moat slowly disappears with time but it ensure that you are watering the root-zone of the new plant. Make the moat edge just outside where the pot-line of the roots. I use a 2" edge. I learned that in hort school and have seen the difference many times. It works nice.

Thanks for all of your advise!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.