Swiss Chard Question

Pioneer, CA

I planted the rainbow stemmed swiss chard, and although it is growing beautifully, it has areas in the leaf that are white and the spots look dried. I just throw those leaves in the compost, but-- does anyone know what causes this problem? My brother says he has the same problem with his.

Evergreen, CO

I like to give my swiss chard a little shade once it gets hot. Are you getting the leaves wet in the heat of the day?

Pioneer, CA

We just started getting some hot weather and this started before now, I may have gotten the leaves wet. I think I'll be careful of that and see what happens. Do you use shade cloth?

Evergreen, CO

I grew this year in an Earthbox, and just pulled into a slightly shader spot. Of course it is hot and dry in Colorado, so take with a grain of salt. I was just preparing some for dinner.

Pioneer, CA

This morning I sauteed some stems from the chard with red potatoes and Vidalia onions then added the chopped leaves, poured stirred eggs in and made sort of a fritata. Isn't it great to go to your garden and use the veggies right away. Love doing that!!

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

That would be my guess as well. Scorching from the water

BB

Pioneer, CA

Thanks guys!! I'll be keeping the leaves dry--- we Never get rain here in the summer.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.