Know anything about Ribes?

Fallston, MD(Zone 6b)

I am considering buying some Ribes, but don't know much about them growing in this region. Anyone know anything???

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Check if it is legal to grow them first - in many areas of the northeastern US, the genus is banned because it is the secondary host for white pine blister rust, a very damaging disease of white pines.

Resin

Fallston, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks Resin, I'll check into that.

Brighton, MO(Zone 6a)

I have ribes odoratum in my native beds. The flower flush is a fragrant bit of yellow heaven in the early spring. My plants are young (3rd season). I had tons of blooms this year, but very little fruit (common name golden currant). They seem very content in a spot that gets a little irrigation in the worst of the summer and partially under the shade of a group of mature eastern red cedars.

Thumbnail by jeffinsgf
Fallston, MD(Zone 6b)

Jeff, they are beautiful. Thanks.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

kudrick, This is Ribes red flowering currant, King Edward VII. Sorry, no picture of the blooms. They were magnificant. The shrub was completely covered in deep fuschia, brilliant neon pink blooms. It was put in Spring 2007. It is planted in a windy spot facing south amidst the roots of a 100' spruce. It has filled out & grown in height dynamically. It was a single twig about 2' tall when planted. Last week 4 others joined this as underplantings along my tree line. I purchased them from Forest Farm.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Fallston, MD(Zone 6b)

thanks! i have had good luck with forest farm.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.