Does anyone grow Baptista or False Indigo

Sand Lake, MI

My husband and I have both planted a Baptista 3 or 4 years ago. This is the first year that either have bloomed although only 1 flower for him and 2 for me. Is this a very slow plant to get started? Hard to grow? His is in part shade but mine is in part sun. I thought about moving mine into more sun but am afraid to disturb it now that I get to see it flower. Anyone have any advice?
Thanks, Leann

Jerome, MI(Zone 5b)

I have indigo...and white...alba..growing strong..here...also have small..seedings..of yellow...I am sure next year..the yellow..will bloom small..lol..but we will see...they grow great in Michigan...here..the Deer like the seeds of the white...last year...I did not see...them before they ate them...this year..we sprayed...no more tastey...treats...lol....good luck with them...

smiles..Diana

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I grow baptisia. I had a large clump at our old city house downstate. I planted it right next to my peony bush since they bloom at the same time and complimented each other. It dies down to the ground each winter and comes up nice and strong to bloom again. We tried to dig it up to move it up here when we bought this place but it was impossible to dig up for us. It had roots to China. I gave up and just bought two more small bushes at Blocks down in Romulus and planted them here. They've been in the ground in full sun for two years and this is their first year to bloom. That tells me they can be slow to establish. I would be hesitant to try to move it. Just buy yourself another one and put it in full sun to see how it does. They are kind of hard to find or used to be. They may be more available now than they were ten years ago.

Good luck,

Brenda

Kalamazoo, MI

I saw False Indigo growing in Vermont and put one in full sun here, knowing it would be hardy. They are slow to establish. I heard about not moving them, but until Brenda explained about the roots I didn't know why. Thanks Brenda!

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

I grow it and it takes a long time to get established. Mine is on it's 5th year and still not huge! But its welcome blue bloom early in the spring makes it all worth it

Jerome, MI(Zone 5b)

I grow it too...I have white..and blue..and yellow now..just grew yellow from seeds..put into the ground couple of weeks ago....we will see how that grows...the rest were brought....at green house..we first saw it..in Maine...blue came first..once it takes off..it is great...deer like to eat the white's seeds..not the blue..strange I think..love it though....good luck...hope with takes off for you..

smiles..Diana

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

wow I'm glade I read this I just planted it but Now I think I'll be moving it to a NEW and better location or I think in a few years I'm gong to have a problem I'v never seen white or yellow I'm going to have to look around for them !!
Gloria

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i just got several of the new yellows and solarfire...
have had this blue for yrs

Thumbnail by notmartha
Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

Dori how did I miss that !!!!! now I know I'm going to have to move it and SOON Thinking thinking back yard some where I'm going to need an other new bed !!!!!
Gloria

Jerome, MI(Zone 5b)

Dori where did you find the solarfire??????? Red one..dear me now I have to have that one.....let me know where...smiles..Diana

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

yahoo co-ops!

Jerome, MI(Zone 5b)

Must be a secret place..I looked..but..could not find..anything..oh well....thanks anyway.....smiles..Diana

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

it was offered in one of the yahoo co-ops this spring!
bluestone perennials i think had them!

Jerome, MI(Zone 5b)

Aw, I will h ave a look...I have the Cat....thanks...smiles..happy night..Diana

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

thanks Dori I want them all so now I'm rethinking the back yard lay out and trying to figure out how to keep the one bed in the front yard from sliding down hill I think I have a plan we'll see if it works ;0(
Gloria

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I thought I'd mention that baptisia doesn't bloom all that long. It comes into bloom about the same time as peonies and is done with it's show after just a few weeks. The foliage looks nice though so plant it as a backdrop to something colorful that blooms longer.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i really like the black pods that it makes after flowering!

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

I need to see that I bet its cool!
Gloria

Sand Lake, MI

Thank you all for your input. It gives me hope. I think I will leave this one in its spot and buy another one to plant in full sun to compare. I had no idea there were other colors. Now I will have to have a look at those too. Thanks again for all your wonderful information.
Leann

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.