Brown and white bean seed

Delhi, IA

I ended up with one pkt of white and one of brown green bush bean seed. I once read that one can be planted in colder soil. Does anyone know the details?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Not really, beans come in all colors. Whule a few cultivars may be more vigorous in cold soil than others, it depends on the cultivar, not the color of the bean.

Durhamville, NY(Zone 5b)

From Stoke's seeds

http://www.stokeseeds.com/isroot/StokesSeeds/webroot/ftp/detail_growing/bean_bush.html

This is what they say;

"SEED COLOR: Never use white seeded beans too early! Black and tan seed can regulate water uptake in cool, wet soils, preventing the cracking of the cotyledons. White seeds transmit water too fast, cracking the cotyledons which reduces seed vigor and germination."

I don't know the validity of it.

Delhi, IA

OK that's something like what I've read. I planted some of the white seed first and with all of Iowa's excess water only got about 10 plants for a stand. (Might be able to pick a mess of beans when ready)

Then when I opened the other pkt it was brown colored seeds. I now have a row of each planted side by side on the same day so we will see if excess water___it rained again last night after planting, and rained the day before, and the day before that too. It was after opening the second and seeing brown bush beans that I remembered to not plant one two early but not the reason why. Thanks for your response. I've tossed my seed catalogs so couldn't look it up.

Edited to add examining the two pkts. the one does indicate white seeds. jam

This message was edited Jun 15, 2008 3:21 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.