Old type Martin house Gourd Seed wanted

Rose Hill, NC(Zone 8a)

I am looking for bird house gourd that has a straight neck and NO bubble in the neck. Neck is app. 9 inches long. These were used for Martin gourds back when I was a kid from Fla to Va. along the costal areas back in the 50's and 60's. They were nice and thick and lasted many years. It looks like the plastic ones sold for the Martins now.

many thanks

all kinds of seeds to trade....

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Well...Datura.. did you try thr purple martin society.. Iknow they distribute the thickwalled gourd seeds... Mother has a pile of gourds hanging.. lots of her old ones and plentyof the new super gourd.. she plays martin music and calls in the spring.. outside for the passing martins to hear..and stop and live.. Gordon

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

daturapod, check the ornamental gourds forum. You'll find everything you need.

Mesilla Park, NM

Hi Larry,
My Giant African Gourds just dried so I'll be sending off some seeds to you via our D-mail.. all were over 62 inches in circumference and the largest was 74 inches around, they can reach up and over 80" inches around.. and weighed up to 250 lbs each, so watch these babies and rotate, rotate, rotate..lol

Good to see you posting and I did see your hibiscus thread in Feb ... great job you are doing there.

Antoinette

Thumbnail by Gourd

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.