Rose Suggestions

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

I have seen lots of beautiful roses on this forum and it's got me thinking. I have a small arbor and wondered if there was a rose out there that would grow enough to go over an arbor but not overwhelm it. With the beautiful blooms that roses have just one or two canes going up the arbor would be enough. And of course one that keeps blooming vs one flush and you are done. (I don't ask for much do I? The arbor I have is tall but not very deep. I may have to get something else for it. It's really beautiful and I want to still be able to see it regardless of what is growing over it

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Jazz, I'm finding that reblooming climbers that are cane hardy for our zones are a bit tougher to come by. But since you don't want it overly vigorous you may just be in luck! I saw a climbing 'Fourth of July' last week that was putting on a gorgeous display. The people growing it have it set against the house, so it gets wind protection and may not be suited to being out in the open. I did just notice that Chamblees has it listed as hardy in zones 4-9- sure hope the cuttings I got off that plant root! 'Eden' is a lovely soft pink climber with old fashioned cabbage shaped blooms that may work. Its reported hardy enough in MN to grow as a shrub, so it may just work. Mine is only in its 2nd year and needs to be moved to a sunnier spot. Its been prone to those little green worms that leave windows in the leaves, which could be due to being under stress. I've found New Dawn to be very hardy, vigorous, and disease resistant, but it would probably be too vigorous for the spot. However in colder zones there's often enough winter die back to keep it in check. Oh, and I just remembered a nice red one called 'Dortmund' that has been doing very well. You have to keep it dead headed (prevent hip production) to get good rebloom, but its worth it.

I don't know of any climbers that are in constant bloom in our zones; they typically occur in flushes, most years 2 for mine with sporadic blooms in between. A clematis growing along with the rose may be helpful in keeping some color for more of the season.

There are some I've been reading about and on my wish list. Westerland is an orange one I'm wanting. 'Aloha' is a pretty pink reported to be zone 5 hardy. 'Pinata' is a colorful one that Chamblees lists as hardy in zones 4-9. I picked up a couple of cheap bagged ones of those this spring, but would prefer own root to grafted. If they grow well I'll try to get some cuttings going.

Springfield, OH(Zone 6a)

New Dawn and Eden are just beautiful. My Blaze and Iceberg, seem to be very hardy, and like Neal says, have 2 big flushes with sporadis blooming throughout the seasons, Golded showers is another pretty. If you like red their is one called Quadra, that is hardy to Canada.
Climbing Peace and Joesph's coat are colorful.

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I am probably the only person in the world who wants a scrawny rose? lol.. I will have to go look those up. Now just to double check I am imagining that roses don't like wet ground?

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Well, roses do like plenty of moisture, but need it to be well drained too. Is the spot swampy?

Springfield, OH(Zone 6a)

My cl Blaze is really scrawny it only has 1 very long cane , a shorter cane, and a realy short cane.

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

It's wet in the spring but the rest of the year is usually ok

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

Jazzy.. what color is your trellis?? Do you have a pic? and what color rose did you have in mind??

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

It's a metal trellis with a distressed white finish. I think I have a picture at home

Springfield, OH(Zone 6a)

I want it! lol haven't seen it but know I want it! lol

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh You have too seen it. It's between the front and side yard on the north side. right at the beginning of the path. You told me it would look good in my new garden :)

I cant find the pics so I will go take a new one after I finish my paper!! lol lol lol hehehe need to finish that puppy

Edited because I Kant TYpe

This message was edited Jun 17, 2008 1:47 PM

Springfield, OH(Zone 6a)

OH! THAT one, yeah still want it! hehehe

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Hey Jazz,
Did you ever decide on a scrawny climber for your arbor?
I used to grow climbing Peace, a traditional climber with thick canes that mostly bloomed on the top and hardly any on the sides.
It's easy enough to keep the sides trimmed and let the top bloom away... I had to work like crazy to get the side blooms you see.

The secret to getting a climbing HT rose to bloom only at the top is to peg the canes straight up, the part that is then bent over the top of the arbor will bloom from the lateral growth that develops.
(clear as mud?)

Dove

Thumbnail by dovey
Columbus, OH

I like Zephirine Drouhin, no thorns and very easy to grow and bloom

Thumbnail by Celene
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

dovey, thats so beautiful! Do you know if the people who bought your CA house appreciate the work you did? I'm curious how cane hardy Climbing Peace is. I've avoided most of the climbing hybrid teas because of that concern, but I would like to find some reliable reblooming climbers.

Celene, beautiful shot of ZD! I can't wait to get that one going!

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

No I haven't found one yet. It's a project in planning that will be done after I have conquered teh weeds.. ha ha ha

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

It's suppose to be hardy 6b through 9b, which makes it iffy for me.
It all depends on how fussy you want to be with your roses. I know a girl in Canada who wraps her climbers in burlap stuffed lightly with straw each winter. Of course she lives in something crazy like zone 3 or 2 or 0....

Celene,
When I moved here I was like a broken record about my desperate need to grow Zephirine Drouhin. I looked everywhere and didn't find it. Someone would say, "oh I got mine at Wal-Mart and the next day poor Matt was dragged to walmart with me too look, the following week someone would post Zephirine Drouhins were sited at Home Depot and off we'd go again.
Finally we just happened to find one (well 2 actually) at The Anderson's... we were so broke that week. Matt bought them for me anyway, he's such a sweetie.
I know they are subject to powdery mildew and blackspot, but easy to grow, smell great and don't need winter protection. (and like you said no thorns) Both proved to be true to form, but I love them anyway.

Columbus, OH

Yup, I have to spray that rose pretty frequently, very true. I got mine at Oakland Park Nursery.

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Jaz

Weeds... ugh. I have never seen so many dandelions and thistle.

Cover the bed area with thick newspaper, wet it, lay an old carpet over it and keep it damp.
Zero light will take care of your weeds in a couple of weeks and the worms with go to work under there so that you'll just have to remove the carpet and dig your hole.
Heaven forbid you let a little thing like weeds stop you from planting a rose *L*

Most Rosefully
Dove

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Me too, lots of alfalfa tea and regular spraying with Neem oil.

Springfield, OH(Zone 6a)

Jazz grow a clematis on that arbor, the JB's are driving me batty!!! not to mention my poor roses, or sticks, can't quite remember what I planted there. lol

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

I was thinking I would do that if I move it. sheesh right now I am being killed with weeds can't even think about decorations!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.